Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A question to the custom rod builders:
I built a reel seat on a spey rod a few years ago that fits only to a few reels with a slim reel foot. Unfortunately it doesn´t fit to the Loop reels. I don´t know the manufacturer. But now I would like to change it to a better one.
What is your favoured reel seat when building spey rods? Which one fits special to the Loop reels?
Thanks.
Stefan

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I'm partial to either the Bellinger or REC spey seats. The fairly new Struble spey seats (not the older 16's or 4's) are also nice spey seats. Yes, these are more expensive' but they work well on nearly any reel foot.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Ah Yes, My Little Chickadee! A fredmeister..

pain in the bottom. I've hit this wall far too often .. hair being torn out to get a reel/retro-fit something stuffed into one end or the other to get a 'normal' reel to fit/tighten down.

Not a happy camper here!
fae

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
This has also been a pain for me, Fred. I am sure we are not alone... perhaps we could sign an electronic petition to rod and reel makers to standardize around some kind of system!

·
Registered
75 Posts
Maybe a PacBay?

PacBay makes a brushed titanium reel seat that looks like the one that graces the Daiwa Altmoor. I have one on a custom Scott SAS 1409. Sturdy and good looking.

J

·
0 Posts
Juro,

That standardization between the reelmakers and the reelseat/rod makers happened in 1996-97. I have a copy of them as I write this. There are still several problems which aren't likely to go away. First, there are separate standards for spey reelseats/reelfoots. But is there such a thing as "spey reel?" I think that was done due to the number of older Hardy reels which had particularly long reelfoots. Secondly, matching up a new reel with a rod/reelseat made before 1996 or a new rod/reelseat with some reels made before 1996 still may not work. Saltwater flyfishers deal with the same problem due to the extra long reelfoot on the early Seamaster reels (and others.) Finally, there is no enforcement mechanism to these standards. Therefore a reelmaker who decides that the standard makes his reel look bizarre may just decide to ignore the standards. This happens a lot with small trout reels which do look strange with a full 2.5" long reelfoot. By the way, the standards deal with a lot more than just length. There are a total of six different measurements that were standardized.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts