Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
flytie09
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a good deal on a Tibor Billy Pate Salmon series (6,7,8) reel. I'm thinking that paired with my current 8 wt switch I won't be able to get backing, running line and skagit short head on it above 450 grain and it won't handle right. Most of the heads I have are higher than this. This is a guess.

Can anyone offer a suggestion on proper wt size switch rod to pair with it?

Thanks for all input.

Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
I think you'll find that the Pate is a single handed salmon reel, and to put that on a DH rod, you'd have to subtract at least 2 line sizes, so a 4-6 switch rod (double handed scale, some are on the SH scale).
I have an Abel 3N Big Game which I used to use on heavy single handed rods for salmon and small salt species.
I matched that to a Meiser 11' 5/6 which fit nicely for weight and line capacity.
Cheers
S

·
flytie09
523 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the input. I asked the shop to upgrade to the Bonefish series reel and they said ok. The shop I purchased it from has been pretty good to work with. I don't see may Spey guys listing this series of Tibor reels on their fav list, but I'm excited to handle it with a hot fall steelie in NY this year. Oct 27 I hope to have it put to the test. From the feedback from the Salt guys, you can stop a linebacker with it.

Tight Lines....

Mike

·
Registered
735 Posts
Hi Mike,

This Billy Pate Bonefish reel should be good for an 8 weight switch with a Skagit line.
http://www.tiborreel.com/pate_sizes.html
The Bonefish fits 275yds of #9 (single handed line).

A reel I used on a 11'7 6-8 Meiser DH rod a couple of years back in BC throwing a 450 grain Skagit was a Ross Momentum LT 5 which has a capacity of WF9+250.

You should be good with 150yds of 30lb Cortland Dacron, but if it's a bit snug (unlikely) you could always go micronite or gelspun.

The only thing is that it's a 3 1/2" reel, meaning (possibly) more coiling and slower line takeup, but I've gone back to classic reels with normal arbours and smaller diameters and haven't noticed any problems.

Tight Lines!

Cheers,
Steve

1 - 4 of 4 Posts