Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

my sprocket has come loose and no longer grips the spool of my hardy. With Hardy's customer service being so garbage I was thinking of doing a DIY fix.

Have any of you experience a loose sprocket, and if so what did you do to fix it?

Would 4 dabs of Loctite 45* apart work?

Thanks,

E

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
Never had this happen, what model reel?

For a repair service Google Archuleta's reel shop, he is at Grant's Pass Oregon and can fix most reels. He is a very accomplished machinist and actually makes his own line of bespoke reels.

·
Administrator
18,325 Posts
Since your in Southern Ontario, try Firstcast Fly Shop.
They have repaired two of my Hardy reels flawlessly. I was very happy with the service that I have brought another Hardy reel in for a replacement foot to fit a new Lemeke reel seat.

Mike

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
It’s the St. George Hot Spur.

Thanks Hardyreels.[/QUOTE

Since we're online chatting about this could you possibly post a photo of the back of your spool so that everyone might see how the cog was originally fastened and the current condition.

I nearly bought the Hotspur when it was introduced but deferred to some new Perfect wide spools. I would like to see what has happened because I've never seen one come apart in this manner. It may be safe to say I've owned perhaps between 40 - 45 Hardy reels over the past 40 years and still have some of the earliest ones here in use. So I'm curious,

Ard

·
The Skeena in the fall
374 Posts
Hi All,

my sprocket has come loose and no longer grips the spool of my hardy. With Hardy's customer service being so garbage I was thinking of doing a DIY fix.

Have any of you experience a loose sprocket, and if so what did you do to fix it?

Would 4 dabs of Loctite 45* apart work?

Thanks,

E
Hardy’s service may not be the best but you’re in ON and the warranty depot is in Brantford.
Fill out the form below and send it in.
They will replace the spool if not the reel.

Don’t expect any communication from them.
John Mirco the Hardy warranty employee who works in Brantford is hopeless but eventually you will get it fixed.
I just had a rod fixed so the system does work.

http://s7d5.scene7.com/is/content/p... Assets/Hardy Warranty Repair Form Canada.pdf

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you all.

@greenbut, what did you do to address the issue? Did you send it for repair or do a DIY?

·
The Skeena in the fall
374 Posts
Thank you all. @greenbut, what did you do to address the issue? Did you send it for repair or do a DIY?

You have an expensive, defective product that will be covered by warranty.
All you have to do is send it in with a warranty claim form and it will be repaired.
Why risk a homegrown fix only to have the reel fail on a fish?
Makes no sense.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts