Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Models would be helpful but I really need to know what size. Say a normal 10 wt reel or 12 wt reel, etc. This will be my first Spey(or almost) rod :)

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Phish...

Not knowing your price criteria I will tell you the Tioga 10 standard arbor balances nicely on my 13' 6 wt. If your going to use a shorter head like a Delta/WC the LA spool should also work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I like my Bauer M-5 but i hate that it requires maintenence ( cork lube) I am used to hardys which require nothing for years

·
Registered
465 Posts
A 3-3/4" Hardy (Marquis 10, JLH 8/9, 3-3/4" Bouglé) should balnace nicely. A 3-7/8" Perfect should also be nice match. You might also consider a 3-5/8" reel like the Marquis 8/9 or 3-5/8" Perfect.

If you like a little handicap, try the St. Aiden (3-3/4" lightweight series). Having only the gear-and-pawl drag without rim/spool control like the others makes things fun!!!

·
Registered
730 Posts
I've got the Hardy JLH Salmon on a 6126 and it's perfect; Sierratradingpost.com had some 8/9s discounted some time ago and may still.

·
Registered
427 Posts
3 1/2 in Hardy Perfect

Bodgan Salmon Zero

Hardy Marquis Salmon 1

Hardy St. John/Sage 509 (shooting head type line)

·
Indicators Anonymous
846 Posts
Okay, be nice to the poor guy. ;)

If you are going to run a Windcutter 6/7/8, Delta 6/7, SA Short Head 6/7, any your standard sized 8 weight steelhead reels will work. If you are going to run longer belly lines from Midspeys to Long Delta's and such (in the 6/7-7/8 range) any of your average reels advertised as being best for a 10 weight will work.

Andre-You've got a St. John?...ever thought about getting rid of it?? :D

·
Registered
142 Posts
P--

I've got a rod similiar to the one you describe--it's my dry line summer steelie rod.

A Bougle MK IV 3.75" balances it nicely.

BFR

1 - 8 of 8 Posts