Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm new to spey casting but more experiened in fly fishing. will my system2 7/8 reel be ok for my 13' 7/8wt spey rod, and will my system2 10/11 reel be ok for my 15' 9/10wt spey rod? or should i be looking strictly at a "spey" reel? on both i intend to use rio windcutter multi tip line. any recommendations are appreciated

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
With the windcutters you should be 'ok' with both reels.

The 'WC's' are short on head length, and long on running/backing line. Only place you'll have to make an 'upfront' dec. is how much backing/backing wt you want on the reels.
fae

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hi nmbrowncom, no the system2 7/8 reel will not work, you will not get a Rio Windcutter multi tip line on that reel never mind backing. Your other reel the 10/11 system2 should work with about 100-150yds of backing and a 7/8/9 or even maybe the 8/9/10 windcutter. For the 15' 9/10 spey rod and since you seem to like the sustem2 reels i would go for the 12/13 system2 reel, that will handle a Rio 8/9/10 or 9/10/11 windcutter and backing. tight lines,brian:devil:

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the insight. i noticed you're from the deschutes river area. i'll be fishing for steelhead sandy river in late january.any tips? nmbrowncom

·
Premium Member
756 Posts
Hi nmbrowncom, the Sandy river has a good run of winter Steelhead but i am not the person to talk to about them. I only get the chance to fish the Sandy river a few times a year. Mark Bachman the owner of the Welches fly shop is the person to talk to, the Sandy is his home waters. His web site is www.flyfishusa.com
He will be able to help you and offer tips, good luck and tight lines,brian :devil:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts