Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Ok, what do you guys think of the new Teton spey reel? I am deciding if I should buy the Teton or Danielson reel. I think its a no brainer, I should go with the later. I've never held any of these reels in my hand, so I don't know what I'm getting into. I am trusting your opinions for my purchase. I like the price on the Teton, and looks ok too.

Its a tough call, do I go cheap or spend a few bucks. Here is a link for the new Teton, I'm sure you guys know what the Danielson reels look like. Since the Teton website is down, I didn't know they came out with a new spey reel. I found their reel on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=23818&item=7162532077&rd=1&ssPageName=WD1V
Thanks

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Another Country Heard From

I have to chime in here. By far and away the best value reel for the $$ is the Snowbee Large Arbor. The biggest one, an 11/12 goes for about $350.
The drag is finely machined and will stop a whale. The reel is beautifully finished in black or titanium finish. The thing is made in Great Britain and is a very, very nice reel.

Here is a link to detailed specs http://snowbee.co.uk/flyreel2.htm#1
I carry these reels at The Irish Angler and folks have gone crazy for them.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys for your replies, keep them coming, I do like Jettas Peter but like I the A4's too.
I probably can't go wrong with either choice right?

Bob you mentioned the drag engagment. I've never held one of these reels before so I don't know anything about the drag. For the Teton, I haven't seen a rear picture of the reel. I'll have to try to find one. I know what the Danielson looks like. Are the drags ok for both reels. I found another reel, Vosseller. Are these any good. I emailed the company for cost. It looks like a good reel but may be pricey.

Thanks speyman, I checked out the snowbee. They look nice.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
I can say nothing bad about either the Teton or the Danielson. I'm not aware of the Vossellor though. Of the first two, the Jetta / A4 comparison is accurate. The drag on the Swedish reel will be much better. The Teton will weigh a bit more I think and might balance the rod better. The one thing I will say about the four Tetons I have owned is they take a licking and keep ticking. That includes the one my father-in-law dropped on a large rock from about 4' high. My Loop is a great reel though but I have yet tried the drop test :hihi:

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ya I want something light for sure, the reel I'm using now is a cow, thats why I want a new reel. This will be my second season spey casting and if the reel doesn't lighten up my outfit, then its time to buy a new rod. I think my rod is light enough tho, may have to change line class. I'm using a 14 GL3 8/9 wt. Which I think is overkill anyways. Being a centerpin guy, I'm used to the light action and these spey rods are not light action, in the 8 wt and above class.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Vosseler are getting some good press in the UK. The reels are all made in Germany, and are not expensive for what they are - the S3 is a similar price to the Snowbee, and has the capacity to take most spey lines apart from the big beasts. I've played with one for a few days, and it seemed very nice indeed, but have not actually used it in the field so cannot comment further. Also I usually buy cheap reels, so am not all that well qualified to compare it to its top-end rivals.

The only slight reservation I have about recommending them is that I think they are a small manufacturing operation, and it seems that delivery can sometimes be slow. I had to wait about 5 months for an S1, and they seem to be having similar problems with their fly tying vices at present. But if time isn't an issue or you can establish that they have stocks I'd certainly consider one.

If you search for 'Vosseler' (note correct spelling) you will find a couple of old threads. In fact Carl 'Berlin' Hutchinson is now the UK distributor. He's only an occasional visitor here, but some of you will know him better from Sexyloops & the UK FFF board. I think he's actually chasing tarpon (sorry, that should be 'field trialling the products' ;) ) & dodging hurricanes in Florida at the moment, though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
5 months, thats crazy. I emailed them, so I'll have to wait and see what they say. I also wanted a conditional warrranty on the item, just in case I don't like, I'd like to return it. Its hard to buy things online.

thanks

·
Banned
974 Posts
Loop Update?

I have just gone through the decision process for my future reel purchases. One of my requirements is that the spool be easily changed. Fewer reels, more spools. I have narrowed my choice down to Ross' Big Game and/or Loop/Danielsson reels. Does anyone have an update on the new Loop reels? Has anyone seen them and compared them to the old Loop/Danielsson reels?

David

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is what I heard the Danielsson is the original builder/designer. It would probably be safe to say your getting a better built reel from them. As far as Loop, I think the reels are now being made in Korea. Thats what I heard...

I was considering the Ross reel, but I think they might be a little heavy. The Teton weighs in at 8.5 ozs for a 4.5 inch reel. Not bad, almost the same specs as the Danielsson.

For me the Daniesson will cost just over 400 and the Teton on ebay from a power seller/store he wants 190.

270 retail or direct from Teton. I don't get why he (ebay) can sell it for so much cheaper. Should I consider the sale or be weary?

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Hey Snoryder...

I don't get why he (ebay) can sell it for so much cheaper. Should I consider the sale or be weary?
For what it's worth Teton tells me these e-bay reels are blems or old stock. That being said if the reel has a finish blem that won't hurt it any and if it is "new old stock" it will still work just fine. That doesn't help us Teton dealers but means a bargin for you. The Teton products are all built like tanks and have a "NO BS" warranty.

I also wanted a conditional warrranty on the item, just in case I don't like, I'd like to return it. Its hard to buy things online.
If you buy from a shop that is known and has good customer feed back you might pay more but you will have that conditional warranty and the option of returning the product should it not be to your satisfaction.

I agree with Jack on the Snowbee reels. I have been fishing one for not quite 2 months. They are very nice. I also sell them and should you wish to inspect one I'm sure that could be arranged.

·
Banned
974 Posts
Loop

Snoryder,

Thanks for the link; I am familiar with the site. We had a thread about these reels a little bit ago. I was looking for first-hand reports about the new Loop reels along with an update on the timing of availability in the US market and pricing.

David

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,476 Posts
David,

A search of the archives should show the new Loop pricing. We have been waiting for the reels to get in for a couple weeks now. It looks now like maybe a week or two out but I would not swear to that. I'm also curious as to how they look in person. The pics available on the Loop website look good!

sinktip

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
I sell them for $270.00usd. As I said that e-bay reel is a bargin if it just has a finish blem. I would not think less of you if you took advantage of a good deal.

The e-bay seller has a good rep as he has 100% positive feedback which should tell you how he operates.

I have a pair of Simms Freestone wading boots I bought online from a fly shop for half price because they had a color blem. They are still going strong after 5 years.

I do not sell the Danielsson reels.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Snoryder-
Heavy is good for Spey reels. You want your rod/reel to balance in the upper area of the upper grip. If it balances forward of the cork, and you hold your rod and line in the cork area while fishing, your wrist must exert a compensating torque to keep the rod level. This is painful after a couple of days and probably injurious. Also, casting is a bit easier when the outfit balances where the upper hand holds the upper grip.
With the head of the fly line outside the tip top and lying on the ground, where does your rod balance with its present reel?

Jack-
Thanks for the Snowbee information. That is a very interesting reel. Please tell the factory that the US market needs reel ratings, for the largest reels that will be spey useful, in terms of WF12Floating plus the number of yards of 30# Micron [a large diameter dacron backing] such as Tibor has historically done with the Gulfstream, or WF12Floating plus 30# Scientific Angler dacron [the smallest diameter dacron backing I know of] such as Abel has historically done with its large reels.

Reel capacities of WF12Floating plus 300 yards of 30# Micron are large enough to handle spey lines for 8-wt and larger rods, based on the assumption that one wants 200 yards of 30# backing.

Rightly or wrongly, many of us perceive ratings with WF11 [rather than WF12 Floating], and backing other than 30# Micron as being indicative of inadequate capacity. If a manufacturer wants to advertise a higher backing capacity than is achievable with 30# Micron, use SA 30# dacron. Advertised backing of lesser diameters is a red flag.

This is not a criticism of Snowbee, rather a helpful suggestion that if implemented will allow potential customers to evaluate the product.

Bob

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
Actually Bob a cool thing that snowbee is doing is matching the reel rating to thier lines. A 10/11 Snowbee reel will hold any snowbee spey line rated 10/11 etc. A nice thing as it can cut some of the guessing out of what lines fit on a reel.

-sean

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Rightly or wrongly, many of us perceive ratings with WF11 [rather than WF12 Floating], and backing other than 30# Micron as being indicative of inadequate capacity. If a manufacturer wants to advertise a higher backing capacity than is achievable with 30# Micron, use SA 30# dacron. Advertised backing of lesser diameters is a red flag.
I will run a long belly on my Snowbee 11/12 and fill it up with 30# SA backing then we will have a good idea of what they will hold.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bob, it balances well, when I hold the top portion of the rod, it balances nicely, but I still don't like the weight, I've felt other spey outfits and they were so much lighter than mine. I really felt I had a meat stick. 16 oz is a little heavy for a reel don't you think?

1 - 20 of 66 Posts