Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Can anyone recommend what to use for oil on their click and pawl reels after cleaning? Would gun oil work?

Thnx
SM

·
Too far away
124 Posts
I did use mostly grease for the mechanical inner parts of my Hardy click and pawl reels. Oil gets washed out very fast, no matter which sort of oil.
For need of oil in general and because of said reason I use only gun oil made of plants for water work. Stuff like Ballistol did work very well for me. Checked and maintained regularly, I didn’t see any difference to other sorts of oil, also to „high end“ oil. And I feel better somehow...

As a lighthearted site note:
If you want to hear full alarm of your click and pawl reel, I would take oil - if water sound, surrounding, silence, beauty of nature, head shakes and runs of the fish is enough for you, I would take grease...

·
Dedicated Fisherman
3,294 Posts
It was said, oil on the spindle. For a very long time I have just applied a very small dab of marine grease to the cog & pawls on my reels. That red stuff already mentioned, the red grease is probably just red marine grease and is sold in small quantities. I use the blue stuff because I have a great big grease gun full of it. It's the same thing I purge the bearings on my jet boat motor with, good stuff.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Hot sauce Oil
Hardy Oil

I stay away from all the "Grease" on the internals. If you fish water with any type of sediment or sand... that stuff is a magnet for it and will F up a reel

·
Spey Is The Way
950 Posts
Hot Sauce grease on the gear, pawl and spindle. A touch of Hot Sauce oil on the handle when needed.

·
Registered
1,381 Posts
DuPont white lithium Teflon grease in a spray bottle formula. Absolutely awesome stuff, and it’s fairly inexpensive. Best part, you spray it in and it gets into every nook & cranny for some ultimate protection. 1 bottle for $12 lasts a lifetime because that stuff will stay in there for a long long time

Reactions: Tubular Spey

·
Spey Is The Way
950 Posts
I have no idea if it's discontinued or not. I bought two of each a long time ago. The two extras are still unopened. If it is, there are lots of suggestions in this thread. It would be good to know though.

·
Registered
417 Posts
From what I understand Quantum had a fire at the packaging facility and production stop on hot sauce for quite some time. But the good news is they are back up and running so quantum hot sauce grease and oil is now available. It is now packaged in a white tube but its the same stuff as before. Rob

·
Fishes with Wolves
397 Posts
Isnt Hot Sauce discontinued? I thought i read that on Clark's
Cabelas has it. Just got some the last week. New packaging touts 100% synthetic grease. I don't know if it's the same as the old stuff, but I'll be trying it soon.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't think Canadian Calbela's carries Hot Sauce - I just checked...

Looks like I can order it through eBay with shipping to Canada.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts