Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Want to try and keep it light so for reel was looking at Nautilus FWX 7/8, Orvis Hydros III or IV or Hardy 7000 or 8000. But open to all suggestions.

For lines, looking for scandi and skagit recommendations. Mostly going to fish for trout in the Upper Delaware and occasionally in the Missouri in Craig, Mt.

Any advice is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Banned
2,153 Posts
That looks like a really nice rid. When I caled Manchester to ask them about it they suggested around 400grains which is pretty heavy. I feel as though people over weigh their rods frequently but what do I know (not much)

I'd try 330-350

It's a great Rod and a sweet price

·
Heavy User May need Rehab
231 Posts
A 330 scandi, 360 rage, 390 Skagit would be good starting points. For fishing with tips the #5 scandi short version-tip would be good. The 330 nextcast fall favorite 35' would be epic on this rod. And finally if you can get your hands an the now discontinued airflo tactical steelhead #5 @ 390 grains w/ tip included, it's about 340 grains w/ floating tip removed and is just a perfect "mid-belly tapered" shooting head that can handle DC tips, poly's or mono leaders w/ floating tip attached for greased line applications.

For my 5126 the tactical steelhead is the most versatile and enjoyable line to cast & fish, it's a 39ft. Head and requires some better technique to cast, however once you dial it in, it will cover all your trouting needs on a 5 weight Spey rod. Hope this helps, just a recap, my fav lines in order:

- #5 Airflo tactical steelhead @ 390 gr.

- Nextcast Fall Fav 35' @ 330 gr.

- #5 Rio Scandi short versi-tip

These 3 lines are versatile, effective & more fun to cast then scandi or skagits IMHO ��

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Big thanks to both of you guys. This is good stuff. Picking the rod up next weekend. Will have a chance to test it out shortly after.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts