Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a Lamson ULA Force reel for my spey rod over the winter and I've found an issue that I REALLY don't like...

When I'm shooting line, the slack line sometimes get caught in the frame of the reel - inside the housing!...the only way to free the line is to pull the spool off of the frame...of course this is inconvenient when you have, say 80-100 feet of line in the water...

Have any of you had a similar experience with the Lamson reels?

·
Registered
148 Posts
I have a ULA Force 3,5 (the second largest - more than big enough for the shooting head system we use), and after use during appr. 14 full days of fishing, I think what you describe has happende twice. Actually, the salesperson here in Norway said it could be a problem, especially if you use the reel left handed (I havent figured out why it occurs more for lefthand reeling, but probably has to do with how line press towards one sie or the other of the reel).

It hasnt happened much to me, also you should expect it to happen more often with the thin shooting lines we use, compared to a normal level shooting part of a full line.

I must admit that I really love this reel, after having caught two really nice salmon last season on it - the faboulus brake just control the fish completely. I also have Loops, and like them as well, but my next buy will be a smaller ULA for my onehander.

BTW Check that the black plastic on the end of the axel where the spool enters is screwed completely in, if not this cause the spare room between spool and house be bigger than it should.
This happened to my reel just after I got it.

Good luck and hope you give the reel a chance for a huge fight before judging it down and out.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
that's it EXACTLY

I took a second look at the reel just a couple of nights ago and lo and behold, the cap that screws down on the clutch had come undone and was causing the whole problem...

I do love the reel and have already caught a number of steelhead on it...I just didn't want to get rid of it unless this line problem was something chronic...but alas, it doesn't seem to be chronic at all!...

Thanks for the response!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts