Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I cast my single-handed rods with my right hand (my dominant hand) and reel with my left. I haven't done any casting with my two-handed rods since I am yet to learn how. I would like opinions on whether one is better off reeling with one's dominant hand when using two-handed rods. One of the things that causes me to ask the question is that if I learn to cast two-handed from both sides, it seems to make more sense to stick with the dominant hand. Thanks in advance for your responses.

CK

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I reel with my left hand whether using a single-hand or 2-hand rod. I am right hand dominant and find using my right hand to hold the rod when fighting a fish is less tiring than the reverwse. But it comes down to what is most comfotable for you.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Reel hand....

Yeah, I both cast with my right hand and reel with my right hand. That's the way I learned (as a kid) way back in the '40s. It was the "fashion" back then. Yes, I use my left hand on a spinning rod for reeling, and right hand with a casting rod.

Tried switching to left hand retrieve with the fly rod, but it seemed clumsy to me, both reeling the line with my left hand, and fighting the fish with my right hand on the rod. I guess this old dog can't learn new tricks.

But it works for me, and I am used to it.

I guess it really doesn't matter - use whatever you are comfortable with. If I had learned either way, I would be comfortable with the way I learned.

BobK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts