Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I imagine a Hardy is the most desired reel, but if anyone has particulars for any vintage reel that can handle the capacity needed for a spey line I;d love to have anyones input. Will modern reel seats fit on a rod with cork thruought the handle? Would be interested especially in a reliable click-n-pawl old reel. What is the approx reel diameter and width I would be looking for? I have a Lamson Velocity 3.5 and 4 as well as a Ross BG6 would either of these reels fit on the cork?

Thanks for your advice, Nathan

·
Registered
344 Posts
McVicker and Sons salmon reel. It would be about right, it's huge, loud, and looks great. I think that for a time they were sold as a combo with Payne bamboo salmon rods.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Search Ebay on a regular basis for "salmon reel". You'll get alot of Penn levelwinds, some moochers, and lots of old english "hardy"-like reels. They look like perfects, only no bearings, and come in all sizes. Remember the Salmons and Marquis don't have bearings either. Take a chance or tow and you will find a great old reel...

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys - any other info??

Gents,

Thanks for the info! If there is anyone with specific info on other reels would be appreciated. I have seen a Shakespeare Beaulite made by JW Young at 4.25 inches And an Allcock Gilmour 3.75" dia w/ 1,25" width. Were old Shakespeare/JW Young reels good? What would be the ultimate reel for under $200 for my aplication - I'll take any/all input.

Thanks, Nathan

PS - will finaly get my hands on the 14' 10/11 JS Sharpe on Tues - can't wait!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Sharpes reels

Right now there are a few on Ebay you might be interested in.
(I'm not affiliated).
Try a lookup on keywords, Sharpes reel.

I have picked up a few Sharpes Gordon reels pretty cheap for my smaller Scotties.
The 3-1/2 inch Gordon normal holds a DT8. The 3-1/2 inch Wide model holds a Windcutter 6-7-8 or 7-8-9.

Right now there is a 3-3/4" Gordon that appears like new on Ebay. I think it can probably hold the short belly lines but probably not a longbelly. The price is higher than normal, though these are seldom in such good condition.

There is a 4" Aquarex listed that might hold a medium or long belly line.
It is hard to gauge the spool width in the photos and I haven't seen one in person.

The Gordons have only a single pawl and some of them are pretty weak, and usually sell in the $30-50 range.
The Aquarex shows a double pawl setup which I'd have more confidence in, and I haven't seen many of them to have a price range.

Sharpes also sold a Perfect style reel they called the Scottie. I have the 3-3/4 wide model and it is as good as Hardy, no difference that I can tell, right hand wind only. These usually go around $200 - 250.
If you could find a 4" one of these you'd have an ideal setup for fishing singlemalt.

-Vinnie in Juneau

1 - 5 of 5 Posts