Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am new to trout spey casting and I am getting a Sage One 3110 Trout Spey Rod.
If you have one of these rods and experienced it, what reels do you recommend for it?
How about also recommending a click and pawl reel, like a Hardy Perfect size, etc?
I am looking forward to your recommendations.
Thank you,
DinoC

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
It’s purely a matter of weight to match the weight and length of the rod. IMHO 8 oz is WAY too heavy for your rod. On a 7wt switch yes. Maybe.

Around 5 -6 oz for about the right balance. The good news is that most modern 5/6 weight LA reels will be fine both for weight and volume if you have one you like. But if you have more sophisticated tastes then a 3 1/8 inch perfect would probably be OK. The Perfects are a bit heavy for their volume so at the light end of the spectrum where this rod is at maybe not as easy a match. A hardy Princess would be nearly ideal, or a Hardy made CFO V. The latter balances my 4116 sage one perfectly. Or go a little more affordable with a vintage Marquis 6 or 7. All classic hardy designed ratchet and pawls.

Unless you are going with a bamboo or maybe fiberglass I would think twice about using one of the heavier style hardy reels on a short 3 wt.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Way to heavy!!! Haha
Maybe you need to hit the gym!
43/8oz 3wt
Ok you got me .....maybe a little heavy,
I have big strong arms and I like to hold the cork high I’m notorious for
My way to heavy setups.
Sometimes I’ll put a 33/4 Salmon on my
12’ rod all day just for a workout
The extra 2 Oz gets me jacked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
It’s less heavy in that sense, as I hope you already understand, than heavy in the sense that tying a 5 pound weight to drag behind your chihuahua is heavy. The dog is the ROD in this metaphor, just to be extra clear for ya.

I think your weight recommendation is way off - malpractice level off - just my opinion. But as I said above, the only factor for how the balance feels is the weight, and it is easy enough for the OP to test the feel of that trout switch with 10+ oz hanging off the reel seat and judge for himself. Everybody is a little different in what they like. He should just be sure he likes that feel before he spends the money. If he can stand it, then no problem. Otherwise save the heavy classic Unis for your bamboo trout switch. They do LOOK awesome on the right rod.

·
Registered
85 Posts
For that rod I'd look into Sage's new 'Trout Full Frame' 4-5-6 or their also new 'Trout Spey' reels.

For a gear & pawl reel I'd say find a Hardy/Sage 508. If not, then get a new Hardy Marquis LWT 7.

·
Registered
8 Posts
The old Marquis number 10 is a beaut on this rod. They often come up on EBay at very modest prices and sound super sweet when the fish runs.
all the marquis range bar the silent ones sound great.I have them through #5 to salmon#2,just love the sound when I have a fish on.
the silent one is just a#5 used with a silk line for trout and grayling ,thats been with me some 30 or more seasons, still going strong.
as said they come up on evilbay often for little £$.

Sent from my SM-J250F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
78 Posts
I just put a Danielson F3W 4seven on my 3 wt trout spey balances it well for lawn casting will be getting it on the river this weekend

·
Registered
10 Posts
It seems like every day I learn that there's another aspect of fly fishing that I hadn't even considered. It's no wonder people get intimidated by this stuff.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Check out this short article from Speyco Fly Reels on reel balancing for spey rods. Have a look at the Speyco reels too!

Spey Rod Balancing
It’s worth noting that while the “hanging some weight and weighing what you like” method is definitely the way to go for the meticulous, when most people on here recommend reel weights for a given rod they mean for the weight of the reel EMPTY. The balance with the added weight is implied, and it makes it easier for the poster to scan the reel weight of available options. It’s just a convention, but especially for heavier setups where it matters more most people try to be explicit, e.g. “I like a reel that is 9 oz empty on that rod”. Still, don’t sweat it too much. There is an argument it doesn’t matter much on such light gear. But I’m of the school that one of the pleasures of light weight two handlers is how delicate they feel, so keeping the balance and total weight down might add to the pleasure a little. But I agree that it is a bit of a “The Princess and the pea” type story in this case.:)

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Has anyone tried a Hardy Perfect, and if so, did you use with a Sage One 3110 a 3 3/8" or a 3 5/8"? Dean

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It’s worth noting that while the “hanging some weight and weighing what you like” method is definitely the way to go for the meticulous, when most people on here recommend reel weights for a given rod they mean for the weight of the reel EMPTY. The balance with the added weight is implied, and it makes it easier for the poster to scan the reel weight of available options. It’s just a convention, but especially for heavier setups where it matters more most people try to be explicit, e.g. “I like a reel that is 9 oz empty on that rod”. Still, don’t sweat it too much. There is an argument it doesn’t matter much on such light gear. But I’m of the school that one of the pleasures of light weight two handlers is how delicate they feel, so keeping the balance and total weight down might add to the pleasure a little. But I agree that it is a bit of a “The Princess and the pea” type story in this case.:)
Has anyone tried a Hardy Perfect? Do you use a 3 3/8" or a 3 5/8" with a Sage One 3110? Dean

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Has anyone tried a Hardy Perfect? Do you use a 3 3/8" or a 3 5/8" with a Sage One 3110? Dean
Here you go - 3 3/8” (modern/wide spool) perfect with backing, runner and line on spool. In the category of “perfectly fine” on this 4116 sage one (pictured below balanced on a point), though a tad heavier than I’d like. The latter is in the picayune category (well within personal taste variations) but your rod is both lighter and a little shorter (less torque). So I’d say the 3 1/8” would be better, but not enough to stop you from getting a 3 3/8” if you either find a good deal or if you want it to do double duty on other slightly heavier/longer rods. They are pricey and that I’d imagine might be a very important criterion.

This one I find just right - by my own tastes I like the balance more near the front of the upper handle than pictured below - on my 13’ 5 wt (older and heavier) Meiser. Hope this helps a bit. The pictured pairing definitely passes the “dead sexy” criterion” IMHO. Having a perfect on any rod (see my alias photo) is enough to outweigh many other considerations in my experience. :)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
FWIW, here we are again, this time with an (original, old model) Marquis #7 (on the 4116) mentioned in a bunch of posts above, including my original one. Also dead sexy, and based on this I’d say it would be OK on your rod. A #6 would be just as good/better on your lighter rod, and still have plenty of room. I like this #7 a lot on a 10’6” 5wt. As suggested above by someone, I think a (new and lighter model) Marquis LWT #7 might be dead on for your rod.

YMMV quite a bit depending on taste!

Attachments

1 - 20 of 20 Posts