Spey Pages banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
Just picked up a Winston Boron III TH 12'6" 6wt on this forum. Hoping for some help with picking a spey reel to match it or if anyone has something for sale?

Current Options, but open to suggestions...

• Orvis Battenkill IV Spey: on sale for $160 locally
  • Sage Spey 6/7/8: on sale locally for $400

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have a 4" Hardy Duchess for sale that might be a perfect weight match for your rod. You can see it here:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have a 4" Hardy Duchess for sale that might be a perfect weight match for your rod. You can see it here:

Thank you, I think it might be too big. Specs say 9/10/11. I'm mostly looking at 7/8's.

·
Registered
800 Posts
Thank you, I think it might be too big. Specs say 9/10/11. I'm mostly looking at 7/8's.
It's large diameter but only weighs 8.5oz with backing. I have a Beulah Platinum 12'6" 6wt and that rod balances perfectly with a Marquis Salmon No1 which weighs 10oz with backing or a Pflueger Medalist (modern one) which weighs 9.5oz with backing. The Beulah Platinum has an up locking reel seat and weighs 6.5oz. Not sure how that compares to your Winston.

·
Registered
712 Posts
I think it might be too big. Specs say 9/10/11. I'm mostly looking at 7/8's.
I use a Duchess interchangeably with a Salmon 1 on an 11’7” 4wt, or 12’8” 6wt. I will at times go smaller on the 4wt and larger on the six, the Duchess will be about perfect weight wise, and have more than enough capacity for a 12’ 6” 6 wt.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Hi all,
Just picked up a Winston Boron III TH 12'6" 6wt on this forum. Hoping for some help with picking a spey reel to match it or if anyone has something for sale?

Thanks in advance!
I had that same rod and fished it with the Sage 6/7/8, great match!

·
Registered
Beulah, G Loomis, Sage, Hardy
279 Posts
I use a Duchess interchangeably with a Salmon 1 on an 11’7” 4wt, or 12’8” 6wt. I will at times go smaller on the 4wt and larger on the six, the Duchess will be about perfect weight wise, and have more than enough capacity for a 12’ 6” 6 wt.
I basically do the same thing, I interchange my salmon 1, salmon 2 and duchess 4in between a 6126, 6131 and a 7132... The duchess is light but it sure is pretty

·
CNYN WRN
22 Posts
Hi all,

Thanks in advance!
My go-to rod for medium rivers with a Hardy Bougle 4” MKIV. Enjoy!

·
Registered
Sage, Redington, Hardy, G. Loomis
285 Posts
I've got the Orvis Battenkill IV disc on my 6110, 7110, and 8110 rods and it balances them all pretty good. You can never go wrong with the Sage Spey. As another member said, "Classy look with modern day drag" it's a great rod and reel set up for the summer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I own this exact rod as well...(Winston Boron III TH 12'6" 6wt)
For saltwater here in Maine I use an Abel #3 Big Game Reel; and these are great for salt (or anything)
(I want to take this rod to Iceland someday)
I own a pile of Hardy Wide Spool Perfects for trout fishing so had been dreaming about the Perfect 4" model.
I finally pulled the trigger the other day and decided to use a Rio Elit Skagit Max Power Line of 425 grains.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts