Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
how big a reel do I need for this rod and the Loop Adapted heads (+running line) ?
I have a Lamson Litespeed 3 with 200 yds of 35 lbs. gel spun which leaves space for a short WF 8 F or a Rio Windcutter # 6 - will it be big enough for the Adapted + running line ?

Thanks
Peter

J

·
0 Posts
Probably not. You're looking at over 130' of fly line altogether. Since the #3 is rated for WF7F & 150yds of 20# I'd say it will be close but that what you have won't work. A Litespeed one size larger (3.5)should be fine. It might even allow you to move up to 50# GSP which in my opinion is much safer.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Peter, the lightspeed #3 will be fine for this rod. The Loop adapted heads are quite short and really don't take up too much room. The loop adapted running line is quite thin and also doesn't take up much room. If you were to use Rio slickshooter 50# (handles better and more durable than the slickshooter 35#) for running line you will have even more room for backing. As for backing I would say the 35# gel spun to be more than strong enough. 50# is for much heavier rods and tippets (20#+) than you will want to be fishing with this little rod.
Brian

J

·
0 Posts
The Loop heads are short, that's true. Their running lines are thin, that's also true. But you're still dealing with 130' of fly line. I use the same system on a Loop Evotec 8eleven LW. It barely holds the head, running line, and about 175yds of 50# PowerPro. Since that reel is rated for WF9F & 200yds of 20# and the Litespeed #3 is rated fror a WF7F & 200yds of 20# I'll still maintain that it probably won't fit. I'm sure Peter will try it out and perhaps he'll let us know for sure. The reasons I mention 50# GSP as being safer has nothing to do with strength. It has everything to do with your fingers. There is no doubt that all GSP is fairly dangerous to use. I've found that anything less than 50# is just so thin as to be like a razor blade if your fingers come in contact with line moving out fairly quickly. It's also the reason I only use PowerPro. It just seems to be less abrasive and doesn't cut as quickly. These are all personal preferences, but at some point I think safety has to be taken into consideration. I recommend to my customers that even on trout reels to not go below 50# if they're going to use GSP. They're obviously free to do as they wish, but I feel better having given them a "safe" recommendation.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've decided to use the Litespeed on my 7 weight singlehanded rod instead and get a Bringsen Black Shadow Grilse instead - a little more weight and a lot more capacity - WF 9 + enough backing.
Reason - I'm sure I can squeeze the line on the reel, but with a fish on or reeling in at night when you either dont have time or cant see - its impossible to guide the line correctly onto the reel so you need a little extra space when the line builds up on one side of the spool.

Thanks
Peter

·
Registered
60 Posts
I am fishing my Loop 7116-4 LBL with a Loop adapted low float #7/8 and the blue Loop running line on a Loop Evotek LW 6nine. So I have 150m of 35Lb (Orvis Gel-spun backing) space for backing. Its absolutely funny to cast this combination.

T.L.
Henning
;)

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
50 yds of Dacron

I use 50 yards of dacron on top of the gel spun. as recommended on the board. It works well. It will not be too often that you even need to play with the thinner backing.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts