Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a reel for my Metolius 5/6. Anyone have this rod?
Going to be using WC 5-6 and a custom Skagit setup pre RiverAddicts rec's.
Does this rod have a heavy tip...........or is it just me? Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated! Thanks

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Loomis 13'4"

Great rod! I like the Loop (now Dannialson) Evotec Featherweight 5-eight reel as well as my Hardy St. Adien. They both easily hold windcutter 5/6 & plenty of backing, a 375 gr. Skagit line or a S.A. short head 7wt which is a great line for this rod - good luck - Lawrence

·
Registered
599 Posts
HARDY rEEL

I use the Hardy St Adain and St John. Both work well and tip is not heavy so whatever reel you put on must have been on the light side. Great rod!! Use 490 grain skaget line including wt of tip used.

Rphelps:smokin:

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I also fish a Hardy St. John and sometimes an old Viscount 150. I use a WC 7/8/9 with the middle removed.

Love the rod.

·
Registered
271 Posts
Metolius Reel & Line rec's

I'm going to try used Loomis troutspey out tomorrow (Fraser Valley Spey Clave) for the first time. Thanks for the posts above, sounds like I should be able to use one of my 3400D spools easily. With the rod I got what I believe is a 6wt Orvis short head spey line. I haven't seen details/length of head/weight etc on this Orvis line anywhere (but heard favourable verbal comments from two). Anyone have this info? I can measure it up etc but I'd rather be casting if the info was around. Hoped I might be able to use a tip set from a single hander 6wt versatip set I've got. Eventually I might get to building Ed's custom skagit recipe for this one but I don't have all the spec'd line weight's for the combo. Specifically I don't have the 10 and 11wt if someone wants to sell me/trade me some short pieces so I can fulfill that line. I've got the 12/14/16 etc. Cheers!

·
Registered
271 Posts
FWIW, the 3400D was notably too light on my trout spey, too bad as I've got the spools for that size from single handed use (line fit fine) . Will update when I've got my balanced solution in hand.

·
Registered
79 Posts
For what it's worth...My favorite reel on this rod is a hardy 33/4 St. George, or SA Large arbor 890 and an SA skagit 450 to 500 grain line depending on the weight of the sink tip...an awesome steelhead stick for light lining and surprising distance and the butt power to handle even the largest of our chrome friends...

·
Registered
293 Posts
tioga

I use a wc5-6 and a teton tioga size 8. It balances well, but is a bit small on line capacity. I cut a few yards of running line off of the wc to make it work with what i thought was a reasonable amount of backing. (don't need 90yds of backing for the trout spey, but this reel gets rotated to my 8wt 9ft salt setup sometimes)

I like the rod. I mostly use the wc body and a 6' long 9wt type 8 sinktip for getting down - or the standard 6wt floater tip.

I don't think the tip is heavy, it's just a slower action rod.

jp

1 - 11 of 11 Posts