Spey Pages banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are you ready? I have pages of questions... =)

I just received the kind gift of an Angler's Workshop IM6 12'0" 7/8 blank kit from my friend Dave. My wife rolled her eyes, but I really appreciate it, and want to thank him publicly.

The rod is built now - dressed up with corresponding dark brown, black, and garnet wraps, and a Lady Caroline-ish feather inlay. Obviously, though, the outfit is not complete. I am using my Galvan 3.5WD on it since that is the only reel I have that is even close to the proper size. Would an 10/11 reel be more appropriate to this setup?

Now, I'll be honest: this question may just be sheerly academic since I don't have a plug nickel to put toward a reel right now. My only hope is for someone who is willing to do some trading for custom-tied flies. This rod is an awesome gift, though, and it should be done justice to the best of my ability. Of course, the Galvan will do fine for now. After all, it keeps the line on the rod, and I don't really know what I'm doing anyway! (Love that reel!) I know where there's a pod of Steelhead, and as soon as I get this extremely long leader tied, they will taste my... ineptitude. OK, this might take awhile...

As long as I'm searching through eBay, the classifieds, and everywhere else for a used/demo/dirtcheapie, what size should I seek? Any experience with this rod?

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Welcome to our world!

You didn't say if you already have a line for your new rod, and that's important, because depending on your choice of lines, your needed reel capacity can vary by 50% or more.
You can check the Tackle and Rod Archives, where you'll find a bewildering barrage of opinions. I believe that even experienced spey casters normally take two or three attempts to find a line that's a perfect match for their rod. Juro's recent suggestion is an excellent place to start: Get a standard DT8F, and learn with that.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
There is a longbelly WF8F on the reel now. Prime? No, but it works. I'm watching eBay and the classifieds for a line as well, so I'm basically just in the "acquiring cast-off equipment" mode just to get used to a feeling for this rod.

I looked through the archives, but didn't really find this question discussed. Then again, I'm still becoming accustomed to the format, so maybe it's just me. :eyecrazy: I figure that a 12'0" rod (fairly short for two hands) might call for a reel lighter than a 13'6" or 15'er?

Not trying to annoy with my questions here... just trying to learn.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
Cheap, lightweight spey reels, and other uncomfirmed rumors:

The ol' Pflueger Medalist remains one of the great bargains in fly fishing. A 1495-1/2 weighs about 6.5 oz., holds a DT8F and ample backing. It was a good fit for my 12-1/2-foot rod. The 1595-1/2 gives you rim control for an ounce or two more.
I have an amazing low-price reel, a magnesium Ryobi MG455, that weighs a little over 4 ounces and holds more line than a 1498 Medalist. It's kind of frail, and unfortunately, long discontinued.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Check out this UK link and look under flylines for the economy John Norris D/T Salmon line, and under reels for the Leeda Magnum. It isn't a pretty reel, but it is well made and has the best drag of any reel on the market.

http://www.johnnorris.co.uk/

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Looks like as of last night I am the proud new owner of a Windcutter 7/8! Galvan 3.5WD should work for this? (It will for the time being! :) )

The reel is going to have to be machined. The Mad River holds Kings up to 45 lbs. (bigger, too?) and Steelhead up to 20 lbs. I have seen cast reels warp and Pfleugers literally fall apart in seconds. Not trying to be elitist, but och! What is a worse feeling than gear giving way while you're fighting a fish? Tioga or Redington AS will be fine if I can find a good used reel - just surious about size.

Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
I can get you....

I can get you a redington 9/10 for $105. New in box and black finish. I use one of them on my 7wt. spey rods. They are very nice and purchased through Orvis but contain the warranty. Let me know!

·
Registered
427 Posts
dan,

I don't think those Orvis/Redingtons have any warranty? the mailer notes no warranty on the Redington Gear.

andre

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dan,

I appreciate the extremely generous offer, but you could ask $35, and at this point I just couldn't take it. Young family, etc. - not enough cash.... About all I can do now is for-trade.

Thanks again!

J

·
0 Posts
There's a difference, though, between being able and willing to do repairs and honoring a warranty. Orvis usually can repair reels long after they've been discontinued which is definitely to their credit, but they were very explicit about there being no warranty on the Redington sale reels.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts