Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Opinions Wanted:
I have a Hardy Marquis Salmon #1 and will be purchasing a 7/8 XLT soon. Will this reel be adequate? I'm guessing it will be to small even with gel-spun backing. Can anyone recommend a reel that would be adequate with about 150 yards of backing, no higher than $300?

-Brett

·
Registered
141 Posts
I currently have a Pate Tarpon reel for sale on the VFS auction site. It's a bit more money because a spare spool is involved. this reel holds a lot of line, 300 yds of 30# micron with a WF 12.

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Well, currently have mine spooled on a SA

SA 10/11 Mastery reel. Junk reel to put it mildly, but (Lord only knows why) it's done everything I've asked of it so far.
fae

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
**Thanks**

Thanks Fred for the reply, you too Nevadacaster.
I just recieced my 7/8 XLT and it fits perfect on the Hardy Salmon #1 EXCEPT that their is only about 40-50 yards of 30lb. backing on it (just guessing buy looking). I just can't wait to test this new line with my new Scott 1287-3 on the Deschutes trip coming up. Thanks again

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
That is an awesome combo - I have been using the 1287 and xlt on the Klamath this year and truly love the combo - you will need more backing!! Might try 30# micronite.

I have the line set up on one of the Ross Salt Water reels (prior to the GB Canyons) Expect the BG7 Canyon would be a great reel but not sure the price - likely over your $300 limit

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one final note

I bought 150 yards of Gel-spun backing today and it fits!! So a Hardy Marquis Salmon #1 or Marquis 9/10/11 (which I belive is the same as the discontinued Salmon #1) will work beautifully for the 7/8 XLT.

ATTN Rick J:
I have recently been looking for a solid seven weight rod and with all your and Spey Bubba's regards to the rod and lately the XLT I went ahead with the scott (and XLT). The sage 7136 or 7141 were top choices but through reading all the posts of all the rods I went with the scott. I have only flexed the rod in the backyard and I'm quite sure I have made the right decision. Thanks for posting all your thoughts on the rod they has served me well.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
7/8 XLT and Ross Canyon BG7

Anyone tried to fit the 7/8 XLT on a Ross Canyon GB 7. I think the 8 might be overkill?

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
I only had the big (9/10) XLT for a while before passing it on and can tell you there is no way that line could have fit on the BG7 with enough backing to stop a hot fish. I don't know how much less room the 7/8 requires but to be perfectly honest, I prefer to go with our sponsors and will be going with the Rio GrandSpey lines. I will definitely post on how the GrandSpey fits on the BG7, that's the reel I have designated for the lighter weight GrandSpey lines like the 6/7 and the 7/8.

I would imagine that Per's 100 yard of standard 30# backing to gelspun is the way to go if the standard 175-200 yds of 30# behind the line fails.

I am definitely lusting over the Loop reels for the bigger line weights!

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
I don't want to violate any rules, but a major outdoor outfitter that has a web presence is dumping Bauer M7s for $300... The company starts with a "C"

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Where?

How about a little more detail to find where those reels might be offered?
Thanks

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Did they still have the big boys? I had put one in my basket, hands shaking, because, you know, I have an Abel 4.5 N (super 12 equivalent standard arbor reel), Lamson 5 (great for all but the BIG lines), Pate Tarpon. Luckily the phone rang and I got bumped off-line. Was able to re-evaluate priorities. I was spending $300 so I wouldn't have to use a $550 or $700 dollar reel for the mostly "Urban" Steelheading I do?:whoa: Nice logic. Sometimes telemarketers come in handy! :hehe:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts