Spey Pages banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

i just picked up a 6126 and i'm looking for a matching reel. friends swear by ross canyon 6's, and the loop 3w's and evotechs, but i'm thinking about looking for an older hardy or possibly something else. don't mind click and pawl reels if they're of good quality, and i sort of like fighting fish off my palm. naturally, cash flow's a bit of a concern( which, unfortunately, sorta puts me out of the game on an evotech).

most concerned with a reel that won't take up line if i bump the reel handle on my hip, as it makes it tough to fish a consistant amount of line and systematically cover water.

what reels have you folks found that do well on this rod? i got it primarily for skaters and little wets. seriously doubt i'll encounter a fish over 6-8 lbs with it, so mondo backing isn't generally a concern. if it helps, i'll be using a standard delta 6/7 floater.

thanks, and i look forward to the help...

-jason

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
Reels for 6wt spey

3.5 to 4.0 inches
If we start talking about brands this will be a long thread.
Lamson LP
Islanders
Tibors
Etc.
:devil:

·
Registered
940 Posts
Hardy Golden JLH Salmon is a clik/pawl reel with plenty of line capacity and the Hardy "scream". They are a discontinued reel that you can buy for about $130 USD, if you can find one. Send me a PM if you think you might like this reel.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Bacon you have come a long way nice to here you talking about skaters and such and leaving all that gravel grinding behind the reel you need is a hardy marquis salmon #1 or #2 latter dude.:smokin: D.P .

·
Registered
465 Posts
A 3-3/4" or 3-7/8" hardy will fill match this rod fine. The JLH 8/9, Marquis 10, #1 Salmon , or a 3-7/8" perfect all come to mind. The old Sage 508 r 509 if you can find one would also work.

You don't need a big reel for that rod. I use a Marquis 10 on my 7136 with TT Spey 7/8 and it matches nicely.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I have used a Hardy Marquis Salmon 1 and an Islander LX4.0 and previusly the LA4.0W - they are all fine on this rod. Incidentaly this rod will handle fair sized steelhead on smaller rivers(where there is not a realy heavy current to contend with) - I have taken a fish of 19lb and quiet a few in the low to mid teens.
speydoc

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks

after a few more conversations, it looks like i'll end up with either the canyon 5 (not 6, as i'd thought.) an islander or something lightweight. despite of course, my bank account. d*mn steelhead...

my buddy tom made a good point on the hardy which i'd not considered. said, while it's a fine reel in anyone's book, the weight might make the little 6126 feel clunky. and after fishing a st. croix 7/8 and a 9140 for a number of years, i'm doing my best to avoid a clunky setup for summer fishing.

regardless, thanks for the input and i'll let you know how it turns out...

-jason

PS, dave pin: yeah, yeah, yeah. after pretty much turning to surface fishing ONLY for smallies back home, you knew the second i got west all i'd fish for summer steelhead were skaters, didn't you?

our gravel grinding past? grrrr, but then, i wore parachute pants once, too. double grrrr.

you and brandon NEED to visit, as i've got some places to show you. provided you'll wear a blindfold and not ask too many questions. it's purely medieval. mayhem. sinister. :devil:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
perhaps...

brian,

i think i might just try and get there, provided there isn't killer fishing to be had elsewhere. with everyone else at oxbow, i might finally get first rod through some of those other runs... heh.

got a message from a friend about it last night as well, so he'll be loading up what sounds like a ton of new loop gear for everyone to try.

hope to meet you. if we can find our way, we'll be the guys with oregon plates but wisconsin accents.

-jason

·
Jolly Buddha
504 Posts
I'll be in a black truck with a tent trailer with white Washington plates:hehe:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts