Spey Pages banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
The Medalist has a pleasing sound which admittedly doesn't have the same reverberating beauty of most Hardy's at full growl or an Abel Spey. It pleases me and my wallet. I have no regrets buying the Pfluegers. The reel costs less than many spools for Spey reels, so having two different reels with different lines is convenient.
How long have you had yours? any complaints? I really like the idea of having a click and paw on my trout spey

·
newcomer to spey casting
403 Posts
I've had my New Pflueger Medalists since 2017. Typically each gets a minimum of about 50 days' use on the water each year. I've had no failures of any kind. The sound is more of a chirp than the pricey gear and pawl reels, but the machining is solid. In other words, inexpensive, but not cheaply built, the New Pflueger Medalist is a good value I enjoy on the water.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I've had my New Pflueger Medalists since 2017. Typically each gets a minimum of about 50 days' use on the water each year. I've had no failures of any kind. The sound is more of a chirp than the pricey gear and pawl reels, but the machining is solid. In other words, inexpensive, but not cheaply built, the New Pflueger Medalist is a good value I enjoy on the water.
I think I am deciding between the medalist and the leland sonoma click and pawl. Any thoughts? Sonoma is only $60 right now...

·
newcomer to spey casting
403 Posts
A fully caged reel design is preferred for trout Spey. It keeps thin mono running line like Lazar line from working its way between open housing and spool. With a fully caged reel, that can't happen on the Pflueger giving the Pflueger the distinct advantage in the comparison.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
A fully caged reel design is preferred for trout Spey. It keeps thin mono running line like Lazar line from working its way between open housing and spool. With a fully caged reel, that can't happen on the Pflueger giving the Pflueger the distinct advantage in the comparison.
I'm gunna get the pfluuuueger!

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
The 2W is one of the orginal large arbors and I was using them in the 90s for steelhead. Yes, you paulm ro increase drag and the "drag" setting is on the handle side which does make in fight adjustments easy.

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
I also have a St Aiden on my light Trout Spey Trouts. I do use the 2W and for larger and heavier Trout rods, I use a Nautilus 8 or 10. If I was looking at in production reels, I would look a Danielsson LW series

·
Registered
Trout Spey, Driftboat, Fifth Wheel, Beer
16 Posts
I’ve been using a Loop 3W for years on my 6/7 11’6” Jet Switch. I think a 2W would be perfect for a 4/5 sized switch or trout soey.

·
Premium Member
3,619 Posts
Definitely looking more into this reel. Before seeing it, I was really hoping for a click and paw, but this design is so different. On big trout would you just palm drag them?
You use your palm for everything on those - the “originals” that is. Besides the minor overrun prevention referred to above, meant to be set just tight enough to keep the spool from free spinning, these are most accurately described as “no drag” reels - it is ALL in the palm. I love mine, but I usually tell people to be extra careful to make sure they understand the mechanism before they buy one since there isn’t much to compare. There have even been a few WTF moments reported on SP over the years where people would complain that when the reel arrived it was a surprise.o_O Also pay special attention to the instructions for how to store them so as not the warp the rollers which are hard but deformable rubber.

But once you get used to one it can really enhance/modify your fish handling experience - about as much contact with a fish as you can get short of grabbing them with your bare hands like Gollum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
haha- Ive no idea. I'm old- I've used that reel for several different set ups over the past 35 years. I think they'd have specs on the Hardy site. But I run 100 yards of 20 lb Dacron, 80 ft of 30 lb mono running line, and a variety of heads from 270 to 325.
Funny. I did a lot of steelhead fishing in Norcal in the late 70's early 80's. used 3 5/8 perfect on 8-9wt rods. dacron, bow string (mono) and shooting heads). I plan on relining my 3 perfects with full spey lines and skip the head option. working mono running line is fine but looks more like i should be in Pulaski snagging trout in the head - no fly line, all mono, spark plug, egg on size 10 (never done it, never fished it but hear the stories).

21 - 40 of 42 Posts