Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am wondering if anyone uses a Ross BG-6 with WC 8-9-10 or MidSpey 8/9 lines? The Ross website states the BG-6 will hold an 8-9-10 plus 100 yds. I read on a retail website that the reel will hold 150 yds. (Both 30# micron). I am wondering about the appropriateness of this reel for use with those lines.

Thanks,
David Dornblaser

·
Registered
202 Posts
David,

The Ross reels are a little out of my price range but I checked the Ross website too. The fine print on the bottom says that the line recommendations are conservative so maybe the retail site tried it and found that they could fit 150 on. Although I find that many of the retail sites will just copy and paste the information from the manufacturer's site. Maybe they copied wrong?

If you own one of the lines why not take it over to you local shop and say, "I think I'd like to buy this reel but I need to know if it will fit this line and X amount of backing." Where X is a value you are happy with. I'm considering doing this with the Orvis Battenkill Mid Arbor I mentioned in my other post. See what they say. (Although I have a good offer on a Tioga 10 from a reputable dealer too. :D )

Of course this is dependant on you buying from a local shop that is willing to try all this out rather than from an online retailer.

·
a/k/a loophitech
457 Posts
Howdy David,

I don't use a BG 6, however, I have the 7 and it is holds a 7/8 midspey and about 200 yds if I remember correctly with room to spare so I would imagine it may be a little tight with a 6??? I am not 100% on that so please don't qoute me. ;)

·
Registered
12 Posts
I use WC 6/7/8, WC 7/8/9 and MS6/7 on my BG6. I use WC8/9/10, WC 9/10/11 and MS8/9 on my BG7. I bought 2 -100 yd spools SA micron and used it all ... seems to fit fine. Might have pull 10 yards off the MS8/9 spool. Never had a rainbow, steelhead or silver salmon come close to spooling me. Couple of Kings made me uncomfortable ... but it was all in the mind.

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Dornblaser said:
I am wondering if anyone uses a Ross BG-6 with WC 8-9-10 or MidSpey 8/9 lines? The Ross website states the BG-6 will hold an 8-9-10 plus 100 yds. I read on a retail website that the reel will hold 150 yds. (Both 30# micron). I am wondering about the appropriateness of this reel for use with those lines.

Thanks,
David Dornblaser
I ignore spey backing capacities. From personal experience a reel that will hold a 12 weight one hand WF and around 300 yds gives you lots fo 30 pound dacron with an 8/9/10, and about perfect with a 9/10/11. Start there and extrapolate.

·
Member FRSCA
2,264 Posts
I fish a BG6, it will hold all the line and backing you need for what he have here in the great lakes, only thing is that I find it a bit light on 13ft+ rods, but thats more personal preference than anything. I now use it only on my LGL 9116.

Dave,

If you get up this way (west MI) sometime drop me an email.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts