Spey Pages banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,
my first post......but I've been checking the forum daily for the last year or so.
I'm just about to start experimenting with double-handers from the beach, and have got a Rio Scandinavian 11/12 floating head and a couple of Guideline Powertaper 11/12 heads on the way. I've never seen any of these heads so have little idea of their bulk but am leaving for a trip soon and need to make sure that my existing reels will have enough capacity. I'm planning on attaching these heads to either 105 feet 50lb Rio Slickshooter or 120 feet of 35lb Gudebrod braid (stuffed with 50lb gelspun) but would like to squeeze at least 300 yards 50 gelspun backing onto the reel as well (I'm going for GTs and the like). So my question is this - do you think that an Abel Super 12 or Tibor Gulfstream is going to be up to the job or do I need to jump up to something like a Pacific or Old Florida Nautilus 14S?
Looking forward to hearing what the masters think! :)
Tight lines & many thanks
James

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
You should have no problem with those reels and those lines. I have the Scandi loaded on slickshooter on a 4" spool over 200yds of micron no problem, since you are going with gelspun I can't imagine there being a problem with capacity.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
You will be fine with the size 12 reels. With that Nautilus 14s you could probably fit 3 or 4 scandi heads, it is huge!

-sean

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback Juro & Sean......it's a relief to hear that I don't need to add to the reel collection just yet! :D

·
Registered
2,829 Posts
Just Wait

Adding to the collection is bound to come with time.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts