Spey Pages banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I am looking at getting a Redington Redfly 12'6" 7/8 spey rod. For reels, I am looking at a Tioga. Which one would better balance this rod, the 10 or the 12? I want the standard arbor style for backing capacity. I have the Tioga 12 on a 14' 9/10 rod and it seems to balance pretty good. Will the 12 be too heavy for the 12'6"? Is the 10 a better choice? I will probably be putting a Windcutter 7/8/9 or 8/9/10 on this rod. Any advice, suggestions, etc. is welcome. Thank you.

BK

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I would take a look at the Tioga MAGNUM 10LA. It would have the capacity for the W/C as well as 200yds of backing. I assume this (yeah I know what happens when you assume) because I just put a Tioga MAG 12LA on my TFO 14' 9wt (it balances the rod nicly). I got a W/C 9/10/11 and 200yds of 30# backing. If you still are concerned with backing capacity and weight, drop down to the 8LA and use GSP backing(use caution though). Only go with the MAGNUM, because it is 1/4" wider(thicker) then the standard spool. There is a 10LA on ebay for $109. Just do a search for either mikescottsflyshop as the seller or Tioga Magnum. Hope this helps.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
I have both the Teton 12 LA and the Tioga 10 magnum. The 12 balances well on my 14ish foot 9/10 rods and the 10 on my 13 foot 7's and8's. Really depends on the rod though. If it's a light rod ( like mine are, not tip heavy), the 10 mag should be fine. The 12 LA also feels fine on my 8 wt, not too heavy, and offers more backing capacity. The 10 has a bit of a hard time with any decent capacity and a spey line. I have an Airflo Delta 8/9 on my 10 mag and can only get 150 yds of backing on it. The 12 will give you an extra 100 yds. Both are pretty good mid priced reels.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts