Spey Pages banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
flytie09
1,437 Posts
Always good to see new tyers. Good luck on your journey.

I will offer a couple observations for your next ones. First off it’s nice and sparse. The wing you did a fine job. It should swim great.

Now for the constructive criticism part which I don’t like doing… but I thought it might help you. The hackle you choose and how its wound is the big thing on these style flies. I’d urge you to look for quality schlappen or coque. I strip one side and wind a bit of the fluff to start the hackling. I like that look personally. Some hate it….so I respect one’s personal choice with how one wants a fly to look. Now…..I think I see that you trimmed the hackle on the top of the hook. I presume you did this to achieve a low wing set of the bronze mallard. I’d say don’t do this. Some pull the hackles down to clear space for the bm…. I simply pull the hackle rearward with a few good pulls to get it lower…. Maybe wet it to help slick it back….And then set the bm. Sometimes I do neither and work around it. I urge you to look up vintage examples of these style flies. It will make sense when you see how they look. And understand there are oodles of ways to mount bm…. Each achieves a slightly different look and acts a little different in the water.

I watched a video where the tyer did exactly what I think you did with this trimming of the top hackle and I cringed. It’s a shortcut that I’d say isn’t necessary.

Im not trying to be hyper critical or harsh. Its what I understand on how these flies are constructed. And I’m not an expert by any means.

Keep at it. Good luck!

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much for your feedback. For what it’s worth, you have a very nice bedside manner 😂.

These pointers are really helpful to me since I don’t know anyone personally who ties spey style flies. I feel that critique like yours (and tying more) is the only way I’ll improve, so really, thank you for taking the time to send me your notes. Hopefully I can do them justice in my future ties!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts