Spey Pages banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to start using my Abel 8wt Spey w Lansom Litespeed for Reds in Beaufort SC. Will be fishing off a boat and targeting 2 types of scenarios.

Please provide comments and line suggestions for the following plesse.

Scenario 1) shallows: oyster rakes and marshy weedy flats. Fish wil be shallow and likely into 2-3' of water.

Scenario 2) ledges with running current 3' dropping to 15'.

Help and advice please. I'm darn noob to Spey but I've been fly casting 30 years.

·
Registered
158 Posts
In that I fish for redfish a lot I am curious as to why you want to spey fish for them especially in the first scenario? To me the name of the game for redfish when they are shallow is sight fishing and in that situation I don't see how spey casting is effective in fact I think its ineffective as it takes to long to deliver a quick accurate shot. Most redfish I cast to are less than 50' away and all that arm waving and line cutting across the surface seems to be more a negative.

Now I am a total newb when it comes to the whole spey thing so am interested in how others see this and how it can be effective?

·
Registered
124 Posts
A water borne or touch and go type of spey cast probably would not be great, but a two handed over head cast with a shooting head or shooting head type integrated line such as an Outbound or Outbound Short would allow for quick delivery of a fly to a fish at pretty good distance. I haven't done much with this style of casting, but I did cast a rod and line set up that allowed for almost effortless casting to 100' or more. A 14 foot 9 weight rod, matched with a 12 or 13 weight shooting head rockets out there. One back cast, smooth acceleration forward, with a little extra pop right at the end and 60 feet of running line was going for a ride. The owner of the setup was casting the entire 100 foot running line. A shorter, lighter rod and an appropriately sized head or line would probably still deliver pretty long casts with minimal effort

·
Bob Rodgers
231 Posts
I agree with Steve. I’ve guided for redfish, both in South Texas and Florida. Sight casting to them in shallow water is a great game, but it’s not one for a spey rod.

Reds have an undeserved reputation for being both easy and blind. Not true. Reds in tailing depth water can be as spooky as bonefish and their “poor vision” is actually concentration. They can get so focused on their prey of the moment that they simply won’t notice a fly more than inches away.

To successfully compete in this game, accurate... very accurate... casts are needed, with a minimum of false casts and very little surface disturbance upon delivery. You’d be much better off with a 9’ 7 – 9 weight (depending on conditions) single hand rod.

Bob

·
Banned
1,310 Posts
I use my switch rod (11' 7wt) off the beach for redfish in the fall (Pensacola, FL) to get out past the breakers, but, as stated, wouldn't use it to sight-fish tailing reds. I cast skagit max short 20' head with a 12# fluoro straight leader and big clousers - does the trick for that situation pretty well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts