Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Found a RS2 reel on sale and thinking about it as a reel for one of my lesser used rods. Any experience ? It looks a lot like the current CD series. Any significant differences ?

Gillie

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Actually a pretty good reel; but lacks a lot of capacity. Use a couple of them loaded with cut back windcutters for 'tip tossing' on my Sage 9wt 14 and 15 footers. Kings will give this reel more of a work out than it likes, but no issues with 'normal' sized steelhead.
Fred

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Peter,

Is that a Scandanavian 10 weight head your loading on the reel ?

Gillie

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Gillie said:
Fred,

How big of a line have you managed to put on the RS2 9/10 ?

Gillie
Sorry guy, missed your post. Have two of these that are loaded with a 'cut back' (not much) WC 9-10-11, the second with a WC 11-12-13. The lighter one's used on the 14' 9wt Sage, the 'bigger one' on the 15' 9wt Sage. As big a 'tip' as you'd want on either.

Couldnt' tell you how much backing is on either at this point, but it's more than enough to handle fish up to 20+ pounds. (Actually had a larger spring king on the 15'er, but had a ton of beach to chase the darned thing before it spooled me!)

·
fly on little wing
1,121 Posts
I put 200 yds of 20# micron and a MS7/8 floater on a RS2 9/10. That pretty much filled it to the limit.

Gary

·
Mr. Mom
625 Posts
Gillie said:
Found a RS2 reel on sale and thinking about it as a reel for one of my lesser used rods. Any experience ? It looks a lot like the current CD series. Any significant differences ?

Gillie
For how much? Check the Fly Logic 11-12-13 reels on ebay. Anywhere from $150 to $175 new. Pretty good deal for lots of capacity and pretty sturdy reel.

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Philster,

$49 on clearance. Couldn't pass that up. Actually boughht 2 :D .

Gillie

·
Registered
562 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I received them last week and although I haven't fished them they seem nice for the money. They certainly don't match up with my Loop or Ross BG, but for the money they were a great deal. I think they will br nice on lighter greased line rods.

Gillie

1 - 9 of 9 Posts