6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are a couple of sites that are selling the discontinued
AL Redingtons. Does anyone have them. My hard drive got
a virus and I have lost everything.:mad:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Hit the VFS auction/for sale by owner site.

Probably a lot of them for sale by fly shops. Only thing (and I did get a good deal on a reel/extra spool on a 13-14) is being out of manufacture how do/where do you get 'spare parts' or extra spools.

Might be a good idea to think elsewhere? What do you guys think?
fe

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Too late!

Just bought the last one .... at that price it's Happy Birthday toooo me; Happy Birthday toooo me, etc.

:whoa:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fred - you rascal you. I got one of the reg arbor ones for about $100 last month. They're all sold out too. Can't beat 'em for the price. There must be some lingering around local fly shops or on the net. We will have to keep our eyes peeled for Dean. My B-day present was finally figuring out a call trade that freed me up to go to the Sandy tomorrow!!! Dawn patrol here I come.
All the best,
Bob

·
Registered
21 Posts
AL 13/14

Hi guys. Just thought I would pass along some info if you don't know already. Redington will still honor the warranty and I spoke with John @ Redington. He asured me that the parts for the AL series will be avalible.

I love my AL 13/14 and have the chance to use it in Costa Rica on big sails (over 30 on but less landed), giant dorado and yellowfin. It might not be the best but it sure has done a good job for the price.

Just sold my 9140 and ordered the Scott ARC1509. Will know tomarrow how the combo will ballance at the clave.

Fred, Ya tried the salmon pattern I sent ya:smokin: ?

Cheers
Dennis

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Thar be one hangun from the end of a leader now Matie!

Love the look/colour combo of the fly but no sucess with it yet. Until we get a lot more salmon in the upper river the buggers are going to be the 'fish of a thousand casts.' That's assuming you don't want to go play with all the other folks up at the hatchery. The early fish tend to shoot/scoot right to the top of the river after they pass the Gold Ray counter station.

A fellow at a local fly shop said they'd taged a few fish and the average was at 2 days from the counter to the top aka about 30 miles of river. I stongly prefer to stay away from that zoo and fish with a bit more peace and quite.
fe

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow 15 miles a day they are really moving, you must have some higher water flows, or those salmon are really in a hurry to get home. If they are not holding at all, no wonder you have a much lower probability of success in the water below the top (hatchery).

I would get up close to the top at the hatchery and fish with the crowd, find your spot and camp out etc.. Unless of course it is truly a life endangering risky situation with the gear and bait crowd. Are they friendly folks in SE Oregon or bubbas ? Sometimes they are ok if you know what I mean. Us veterans should get our own fishing sections don't you think ?

I learned my lessons 20 years ago when I first started the andramous fish species river fishing, beating beautiful water that probably had no steelhead or salmon in it, because they were not there yet or already passed through. Got a lot of casting practice though.

No sense fishing if the water if they are not there, duh......

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Pretty darn few "BaBa's" here 'bouts; but the spring kings

bring everyone of them out in force .... and all heading to the "zoo/hatchery hole." Vast bulk will fish off the rock breakwater from the hatchery side, the rest get as far upstream as they can on the other. So if you want to fly fish you've actually got a lot of water with no one on either side of you (across from the hatchery guys) but every one of these yo-yo's thinks if he isn't casting to the far bank he'll not hook a fish.

Usually they're nice enough to shorten up their casts and I keep mine in tune with theirs ... but there's always one yo-yo in the bunch. Down stream about a half mile from the hatchery is a hole called the 'old bridge hole.' Guys line up shoulder to shoulder on the bridge abutment and cast into this one section of water. Always has fish, typically a LOT of fish, so they put up with the silliness. If I go across the river and fish off a gravel bar above them I can use the spey rod just fine ..... as long as ... back to the y-y guy again .... doesn't want to cast way the heck up stream and hit the far bank. Usually, one 'connect' with each other (my fly line is bright green so it's pretty easy to see where I'm running my line) and 'he' will usually get the picture and shorten up.

Your flys came Thursday, but Joan forgot to give them to me until last night. Shoot me a e mail at work with your office number as I'll like you to walk me through which pattern is which. The one with the 'Christmas Decoration' tail is very cool. Already hanging on my fly wall plack; no way am I going to loose that baby:devil:

·
Registered
459 Posts
The "christmas decoration" tail one must be my custumozid Blue Smolt pattern that the brownies were slashing at up in michigan. Always gratifying when of your own patterns graps their attention.

I am tying up some big streamer patterns now like that one for the BIG skamanias who will just rip the heck out of them. No sense being to fancy.:smokin: :smokin:

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
Roger on the no point in being 'fancy.'

Redundent, but there are really only 4, maybe 5, fly patterns fellows use around here. I'm sure 'something else' would get the odd fishes attention, but these 4 or 5 are the most consistent producers.

Now if I could just get those danm Kings to slow down a bit I'd love to test that theory on them.
fe

·
Registered
6 Posts
Redington AL

I purchased a 9/10 AL for $125 on the virtual fly shop. It seems that Orvis kept the AS & AL models, as a portion of the deal, when Redington was bought back by the original owner. Orvis kept the AS and AL, and Redington got the warranty work. I
spoke to the rep, Chuck Gilbert, at the spey clave, and he said nothing about them being seconds. He may simply have been courteous, I don't know, but mine seems to work just dandy on my 7/8 St. Croix. I am using GSP, in order to have enough backing.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Redington LA

Dean,
You might give Mike Kuzinski a call at the Eureka Fly Shop, 707/444-2000. That's where I bought the Redington LA 9/10 I use with my 6 wt. spey rod. He may still have some in stock. Good luck, JB

1 - 13 of 13 Posts