Spey Pages banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on the Missouri through at least mid July and currently swinging streamers. Have two light switches - Anglers Roost 11' 2/3 wt and a very old Fenwick HMG 10' 5 wt I converted to a switch. Booth pretty noodly. Fun fishing tools but not great casting especially in the wind. Tried a friend's Hydrogen 3 wt switch so broke down ad bought one. A great light spey with nice medium fast action that does well in the wind. Throwing 225 to 250 grain RIO Trout Skagit Max and easily handles lead eye streamers and T8 and T11 MOWs. If the water doesn't blow out completely (predicting 15,000 cfs by late spring) looking forward to getting a scandi for it to swing baetis wets

·
Registered
33 Posts
Try a 270 Airflo Skagit Scout on there. It is a match made in heaven.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
just like the RIO lines. Like that they are all the same length (SHORT!!) independent of grain weight. After all, the main benefit is allows stripping pretty close to the rod tip. Using the 250 on there now but the 225 is a pleasure with a very crisp feel.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I agree! Very fun, the 240 scount was just a touch too light. I'm having a tough time getting a feel for the 210 scandi though. We'll see.

·
Registered
492 Posts
If stripping in close is important to you, you may want to try the rio single hand spey or, if you are willing to try something non rio, the SA Speylite lines... no loop to loop between running line and head. I highly recommend both!

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I actually won one of the Spey Lite lines though 300 grains which is heavy on any of my light switches. May check in with a local shop and see if they would be willing to exchange though not sure if any shops carry them. Although I have always liked mono running line - using 20# that sure flies. Use a rod length of 40# for better gripping when temps plunge which they seem to do here on the MO!!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have a 11' - 4wt. TFO deer creek switch rod that throws a 225gr commando head with a light mow tip and a hobo spey with such little ease that it blows my mind. After reading this thread, I'm pretty certain the 3wt. hydrogen trout spey will be my new summer rod for trout. I think the 200gr head will be my starting point.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
think the TFO is a bit softer action though been a long time since I cast it. Think 200 on the Hydrogen might be a bit light but worth a shot. It is great with the 225 RIO and am throwing a double fly rig with the first with heavy lead eyes and the follow with a tungsten bead

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Head Hunters was kind enough to trade out my SA Sagit Lite 300 grain for a 240 grain line. Actually put it on my old Fenwick HMG 10' 5 wt single hander I converted to a switch and it is really an awesome line (was using a RIO SKAGIT TROUT 250 grain). Throwing 10' T8 and two heavy streamers. I am not sure yet about the high floating running line - takes some getting use to. Definitely need to keep coils short on downstream sets or fly will hook the running line. Think I would almost prefer a neutral density running line. But for sure a nice line.

May put it on the Hydrogen at some point

·
Registered
35 Posts
What tips are you using off the Scout? I'm going to get this rod and line combo and was wondering if the Airflo 10ft Polyleaders would work, in either salmon or trout sizes on the Skagit....

·
Registered
879 Posts
Although I have always liked mono running line - using 20# that sure flies. Use a rod length of 40# for better gripping when temps plunge which they seem to do here on the MO!!!
Rick,

How do you connect the 40# to the 20#? A blood knot? Is the "lump" going through the guides noticeable? I am interested in this - might play around with mono once again. First few times I tried mono I didn't like it...

Thanks

·
Registered
367 Posts
Anybody try a traditional double taper or a Rio Tout LT WF6F for dry fly fishing with this rod? I know a 6wt Rio SHS line works, but I already have a scandi head that fills this niche. I'm just curious about a traditional (mid-belly) type line as I would like to be able to mend at distance

1 - 12 of 12 Posts