Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, both the Redington Dually 4 weight and older Echo DH 4 or 5 weight have my interest.For those of you that have used both rods, how do they compare?

·
Registered
146 Posts
I own both. I use them for trout. I like the DH 4wt for swinging soft hackles and traditional wet flies. I line it with a scandi line. I have the 5wt dually switch I throw streamers with. I have it lined with a switch chucker line. Out of the 2, the dually is more versatile and fun to cast.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
I previously owned/fished the Echo DH 4119 and DH 5122.

Both liked Scandi 300gr lines and had very different actions (flex profile).

The DH4119 is a local favorite with stiffer stronger action.

The DH5112 is deeper flexing with a softer action.

It all depends upon you preferences and individual casting style.
Both are nice casting rods and are discontinued by Rajeff Sports.

Regards,
FK

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks FK. I know it's all about personal preference, but would you say that the DH 5 is better for 14" trout since it bends deeper or is the 4 better just because it's a little lighter?

·
Registered
42 Posts
I previously owned/fished the Echo DH 4119 and DH 5122.

Both liked Scandi 300gr lines and had very different actions (flex profile).

The DH4119 is a local favorite with stiffer stronger action.

The DH5112 is deeper flexing with a softer action.
I've found the opposite to be true--the 5122 is crisper and not as soft as the 4119. I primarily load the 5122 with a Skagit Compact 390 and either 10' poly's in various densities or 10' of T-8. That gets it to bend pretty deep but even then, not as bendy as the 4119. Lines that bring out its stronger/faster aspects are a Scandi Compact 360 and the discontinued Tactical Steelhead 5 (390 grains but still throws a lot like the Scandi in terms of how quickly the rod recovers).

I throw either a SkagitMax Short 325, a Rage 330 or a Scandi Compact 330 on the 4119. I've tried a 300 Rage and Scandi but my casting style lends itself better to more grains. I've gone as high as a Skagit Switch 360 and a Skagit Compact 360 but that slowed things down A LOT, as you might guess.

As far as fish size is concerned, I believe you're better off with the 4119 for fish in the 14" range. I use the 5122 for light (6-8 lb) steelhead and salmon and it's perfect for that purpose; it wasn't as much fun with 14" to 16" cutthroat. Turn those cutties (or any similarly-sized fish) loose on the 4119 and you should have a blast.

I wish they'd continued both rods when they came out with the DH II lineup.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Great thanks. Does the Dually bend down into the cork the way I have read the DH does?
The switch rod dually sits at the bottom end of medium flex profile. I find it very enjoyable to cast and fish. Fighting 18" Browns it plays them well.

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
I cannot offer any comparison, but I did have the opportunity to cast a friend's Dually. It was the 13' 7 wt, a length and weight I think is very useful in our PNW waters. However, the Dually is severely "tippy," meaning very light and flexible in the tip. I can usually enjoy a fair variety of rods, but if I were to make a list of Spey rods to avoid, the 13' 7 wt Dually would be at or near the top.

Sg

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The tippiness is actually the very thing I am trying to avoid. Looking for a 4wt rod that bends deep when fighting a fish but isn't flimsy in the tip when casting.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Received a DH 4119 last night so hopefully I can fish it soon if the weather will somewhat cooperate. Still would like to try a Dually someday too.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Finally got a chance to spend a full day with my Dually 4109 on a few beaches this morning.

Line-wise, I set it up with a RIO Skagit Max Short 325 and a 10' Airflo Salmon/Steelhead poly leader, topped with a foot of 10lb Maxima, followed by about 2 feet of 8lb Maxima. Running line is OPST 40lb.

Flies tossed were a small gurgler, a variation of a Hale Bopp leech with a 1/8 oz bead, small clousers with 5/32 oz eyes and a short (2"-3") bunny leeches.

I landed 6 sea-run cutthroat, ranging from 12 to 17 inches.

In terms of flex profile/stiffness, recovery speed, crispness and backbone/shock absorption when fighting fish, my opinion is that the Dually is an entire world apart from the DECHO 4119. For example, the Dually is:

1) Stiff (relative to the DECHO), bending more in the upper two thirds whereas the DECHO evenly flexes, practically into the butt.
2) Fast and crisp in its delivery, unloading quickly whereas the DECHO is willowy in its loading/unloading.
3) Fights fish with authority whereas the DECHO plays a fish with its flexibility.
4) Is extremely light in the hand and seems to ask for a more athletic stroke whereas the DECHO, when balanced with the right reel, fills your grip with a weight that intuitively communicates the need to take 'er easy and slow down.
5) Appreciates a little more pop from the bottom hand on the forward stroke whereas the DECHO prefers a more even balance between the push and pull of the bottom and top hands.

The Dually seems more akin to the Z-Axis (though lacking the same "feel" as the Z-Axis) than the DECHO. That said, both the Dually 4109 and DECHO 4119 prefer the same grain range (for me, 325-330) and as such occupy the same "class" of rod I'd employ them for, which is sticking fish in the 12 to 20 inch or ~1 to 4 pound range and delivering up to medium weighted flies up to 3 inches long. Neither is by any means a windy day stick, though the Dually may have an edge over the DECHO in this respect, it's not by much. I wouldn't use either in any breeze stiffer than 5-6 MPH unless it's a tailing wind, LOL.

If anyone is looking for a current-production two-hander that's reminiscent of the DECHO's traits, I would suggest you look no further than ECHO's Glass series. Specifically, if you want a rod that's almost exactly like the DH 4119's personality, the Glass 3106 is your stick.

Hope that helps!

·
Registered
104 Posts
Great info! I went with a DH, and have really been happy with it. All the research I have done suggests the same... Im sure the Dually is great too, but when I wiggled both, I liked the feel of the DH more, and love the way it fishes too...

Finally got a chance to spend a full day with my Dually 4109 on a few beaches this morning.

Line-wise, I set it up with a RIO Skagit Max Short 325 and a 10' Airflo Salmon/Steelhead poly leader, topped with a foot of 10lb Maxima, followed by about 2 feet of 8lb Maxima. Running line is OPST 40lb.

Flies tossed were a small gurgler, a variation of a Hale Bopp leech with a 1/8 oz bead, small clousers with 5/32 oz eyes and a short (2"-3") bunny leeches.

I landed 6 sea-run cutthroat, ranging from 12 to 17 inches.

In terms of flex profile/stiffness, recovery speed, crispness and backbone/shock absorption when fighting fish, my opinion is that the Dually is an entire world apart from the DECHO 4119. For example, the Dually is:

1) Stiff (relative to the DECHO), bending more in the upper two thirds whereas the DECHO evenly flexes, practically into the butt.
2) Fast and crisp in its delivery, unloading quickly whereas the DECHO is willowy in its loading/unloading.
3) Fights fish with authority whereas the DECHO plays a fish with its flexibility.
4) Is extremely light in the hand and seems to ask for a more athletic stroke whereas the DECHO, when balanced with the right reel, fills your grip with a weight that intuitively communicates the need to take 'er easy and slow down.
5) Appreciates a little more pop from the bottom hand on the forward stroke whereas the DECHO prefers a more even balance between the push and pull of the bottom and top hands.

The Dually seems more akin to the Z-Axis (though lacking the same "feel" as the Z-Axis) than the DECHO. That said, both the Dually 4109 and DECHO 4119 prefer the same grain range (for me, 325-330) and as such occupy the same "class" of rod I'd employ them for, which is sticking fish in the 12 to 20 inch or ~1 to 4 pound range and delivering up to medium weighted flies up to 3 inches long. Neither is by any means a windy day stick, though the Dually may have an edge over the DECHO in this respect, it's not by much. I wouldn't use either in any breeze stiffer than 5-6 MPH unless it's a tailing wind, LOL.

If anyone is looking for a current-production two-hander that's reminiscent of the DECHO's traits, I would suggest you look no further than ECHO's Glass series. Specifically, if you want a rod that's almost exactly like the DH 4119's personality, the Glass 3106 is your stick.

Hope that helps!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts