Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,118 Posts
I have cast the Dually 13' 7 wt and found it way too tippy for my taste. Every other rod in that length and weight was by far a better performer.

Sg

·
Registered
25 Posts
Cast one, then decide . . .

Like everything else Spey rod related one man's pleasure is another man's poison.

The 7130 Dually with a 480 Rio Scandi and some Versatips suits me wonderfully, and with a 550 Skagit Max it bends deeply and casts medium MOWs and T-11 tips very well.

You'll hear a lot of "good rod for the money" descriptions of the Dually, but I don't think that's the reason to buy one. There are a lot of good rods out there now at reasonable prices. If you buy one, it should be because you've been able to cast one with a few lines and you've found a combination that suits your stroke.

I'd sure give it a look.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Which Windcutter do you have?

In all honesty, I don't know how the Dually will perform with a windcutter line not having cast mine with anything other than Rio Scandi and Skagit Max (which are telatively short) heads.

I actually have several Duallys, and find they underhand cast quite well with Scandi lines toward the lower end of their grain window, and load deeply with Skagits toward the higher end.

They seem fairly versatile and forgiving to me. Nobody has called them cannons, but many seem quite happy with them.

I would imagine the 7130 would like a 7/8/9 Windcutter,
and the 8136 would like the 8/9/10 if you want to risk $250 to give a Dually a try. A lot will depend on your casting style.

Hopefully someone who has experience both with the line and rod will be able to comment with a bit more relevant personal experience.

It's a fairly recent, entry level rod, and I imagine most who have them are also somewhat new to two-handed casting and using lines more recently made available not already having a pile of older lines.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
My question would be why would you want to cast a windcutter when there are so many lines out there that are so so so much better? My 2 cents

·
Registered
72 Posts
Re windcutter $ reddington

Randy, opinions are many, so here's mine. I''m pretty new to the spey game & have made several choices that haven't served me well. Rods are expensive and lines are cheap. I believe you might be better served to concentrate on a rod you like. One that suits your casting ability, preferences and the water you will be fishing. There are hundreds of lines to match with it and experimenting with lines is much more budget friendly. Best of luck. Mike

·
Registered
227 Posts
I have cast the Dually 13' 7 wt and found it way too tippy for my taste. Every other rod in that length and weight was by far a better performer.

Sg
I have the 13ft 7wt and Its its a tippy rod forsure, but that is a quality I find good for Scandi. I over lined it wit a 575 skagit and it helped slow it down a lot.

I did a days fishing with the Echo TR only with skagit & sink tips. Pretty much same caliber rod. But as you step up from there you begin to notice improvements.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts