Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if anyone had fished one of these rods, or any of the rods in this series. It will be my first spey, so I was wondering if this would be a good rod for it. Thanks in advance.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
I've cast three of the DFR rods, the 13, 14, and 15 footers. They are a faster rod than the ST.Croix with about the same cosmetics along with a comparable price. Overall, they are not a bad rod and I liked them better than some of the high end soft and slow rods. This rod should serve you well for several years.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Redington DFR 14' 9wt

Flytyer,
I think you may be confusing the Redington Redfly with their DFR spey rods. The Redfly models are comparably priced to the St. Croixs but I'm pretty sure the DFRs are Redingtons highend spey rods. They naturally have nicer components, esthetics, and a much steeper price point. Though the Redfly is a damn fine rod and solid value for the money.

Justin,
Haven't fished a DFR but tried one out at the Clave last year and it was a fine rod. Can't recall if it was an 8 or 9wt. though. And it had a floater on it so can't tell you how it might handle tips but it did seem to have plenty of reserve power and a nice action. I'm sure one of the folks on the community has one and can offer you more significant feedback about the rod than I can. John

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
Speynut,

I'm nor sure if it is the DFR or the DHFR that is the high end Redingron. At any rate, I have cast 2 of the high end Redington's and liked both rods, although not as much as I like T&T or Loomis GLX's. The Redington is slower than the the T&T and GLX's, about halfway between a Sage Euro and the T&T. I suppose it cluld be called the fast side of medium. Plenty of power, good casting characteristics, nice cosmetics on the high end ones, and a price the same as the other high end 2-handers. I would not hesitate to recommend a person give the Redington 2-handers a try at all.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts