Spey Pages banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Probably already been asked and my apologies for that. But under the search I was unable to find anything. And I'm green to this beautiful wealth of knowledge. This is my first post soooo let me have it! ;) I've got a redington cpx 11'3 7/8 weight switch rod, fishing a variety of rivers(most small to medium) indicator nymphs with a tiny bit of swing(still learning) pretty new to Spey casting, what kind of line do you recommend? I was heavily leaning towards rio switch but what grain?

·
Registered
140 Posts
I like the Rio Steelhead Scandi 385gr with a 10 ft rio floating leader. The Rio Skagit Short 425 is also fine. Airflo 40plus is not too bad but I prefer the Steelhead best.

In passing, it is worth recording that this combination is useful for lawn practice speycasting in the off season. If room is an issue, use the Skagit.

Enjoy!
Richard

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hey Rich, I have the exact same rod and it casts beautifully with a Rio Skagit Flight Versitip 400gr.

$90 for running line, shooting head and 3/4 tips. can't be beat.

the new one is the Rio Skagit Max Short Versitip 400gr - but its $159 for the same pack.

i guess they tinkered with the taper, length a little. whether occasional casters like us can make use of that extra $70 of improvement is debateable imho.

cheers

Mark.

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
A nice rod, matched with a loop 3w reel and 425gr skagit short, throws t11 all day, i think could go up to a 450 but would slow the rod way down which may suit some peoples casting stroke, i like bit more punch so the 425 works for me.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts