Spey Pages banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what reel you guys think would be more appropriate for a St. Croix 13' 7/8 spey rod, used with a Rio Steelhead Flyline(8wt.) with a spilced section(6') of a floating head(7wt). The lines overall length will be close to about 110.' The reason I spliced a smaller section of floating line is so I can lay out the line and add tips to my ladder if needed. Instead of making a loop in the end of my steelhead flyline, I cut off the first 10' to allow an extended taper which will allow me to add tips. I am debating between a Redington AL 11/12 or 13/14. I think the 13/14 might be a little too large on a 7/8, plus I don't think it would balance as well. I know I can get enough backing on the 11/12 and since Great Lake's rivers are usually smaller I won't need too much.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,394 Posts
11/12

Go with the 11/12. It will hold 200 yds. of 30# + an 8/9 Accelerator, or 8/9 Midspey or 6/7 Long Delta no problem. Mine has held all three. If you were contemplating an XLT, I don't know if it would be big enough. With any other line, you are good to go.

·
Registered
24 Posts
reel for 13' 7/8 St. Croix

I found the Lamson litespeed 4 to balance the rod well. The reel is listed at 9.75 oz. Plus it was holding 250 Yds of 30lb dacron and a DT 9. I don't know the weights of the redingtons but you should be able to find one for considerably less than retail. Orvis is selling them at closeout (less than 100.00) without warranties. I had a gold one and I always thought it was a very nice reel and pretty also but I am positive it made it more difficult to catch steelhead , too shinny. I think the 9/10 would have enough capacity for backing and your line... the 11/12, no doubt.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts