Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Haven't posted in a bit mainly because fatherhood eats up so much of my time. I've also had this brain damage project stuck in my vise. Lots here I don't care for but overall I'm pleased. Every one of these flies is a learning opportunity for me. I learned a lot w this one. :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
not bad at all major thing is the cheeks. they need to follow the wing tied on top like rest of the stuff. and try to get the head less disk like. ( head is hard im still really struggling with them ) over all good stuff:) u fishing it?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nope this ones gutted too look at.l
First crack at this pattern, I'll keep it and use it fro refrence

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
I really like this pattern and you did a good job with it. One other thing I'd look at next time (and my most recent struggle) is the tail, it looks thin which makes me think you used the tip of a long crest? Try to find one that you can use the whole feather. Is there wood duck under the roof or is that some type of illusion? Also, what's that hook?

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I really like this pattern and you did a good job with it. One other thing I'd look at next time (and my most recent struggle) is the tail, it looks thin which makes me think you used the tip of a long crest? Try to find one that you can use the whole feather. Is there wood duck under the roof or is that some type of illusion? Also, what's that hook?
The tail is not from a crest. I actually sorted through bout 50 tails to get the one I used . Yes there is a slab of woodie under the roof. Hooks for this one is an extra long shanked dee iron from Partridge. I reworked it to 2/0.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Are there several different dressings for a Red Sandy? I like this one, but I seem to recall one that had a lot of Indian Crow & JC in the wing. Must be thinking of something else. Lots of work to get that wing. Nice job!

·
Registered
506 Posts
Really like the wing especially. I agree with kevin watch the cheeks keep em flowing with the wing. and the butt to body transition (unless its smooth and im looking at it wrong.. Btw Are you using metal or mylar?).
The woody under the roof looks cool but id prefer it more visible... Personal choice as is most things. And pull the underwing down abit for the photo it will make the wing look wider.

Great work!!!

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys for the kind words and suggestions. I agree on everything and then some. Like the herl to body transition. First turn of flat metal is sitting goofy. There's plenty to improve on for sure. This was the most fly I've ever taken on and I'm just real contenet it didn't meet the razor. Lots I'd do differently if I tried this one again but such is learning. I should have mentioned this version too, is a varient. There are many different versions of this fly.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
This is very well done. Those small changes will put your next one over the top!

One thing though is that hook sizes are normally associated with the hook gap and depending on the manufacturer so shortening the shank of a larger hook doesn't change the size - unless the gap is adjusted a bit. Just something to keep in mind incase there is a regulation/limit/requirement for a specified hook size.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vic, I'm interested about your hook and gape statements. This iron is actually a long dee iron, by Partridge I believe. I cut it tapered it and used it simply because it was available, and I thought looked decent. Is the gape/ bend of this hook no good ? Thank you for your input. If it wasn't for you guys I'd never be heading down this road in the first place. This is only about my 6th married wing fly I've ever tied, so I feel I'm doing OK.

·
Registered
5,308 Posts
Vic, I'm interested about your hook and gape statements. This iron is actually a long dee iron, by Partridge I believe. I cut it tapered it and used it simply because it was available, and I thought looked decent. Is the gape/ bend of this hook no good ? Thank you for your input. If it wasn't for you guys I'd never be heading down this road in the first place. This is only about my 6th married wing fly I've ever tied, so I feel I'm doing OK.
No - no. That isn't what I was getting at. I think the Dee iron you used sports a very nice classic pattern once you adjusted the shank. Im assuming that is what you mean by reworking the hook to a 2/0...

The hook size is the same unless you also adjust the gap. Some fisheries have limits imposed on the size of hook that can be used and cutting the shank alone doesn't "cut-it..."

I think it is a fine application of a readily-available hook to suit the intent.

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
The hook looks great with that dressing. And you cut it down near perfect at the 3:1 length to gap from what I can see. Glad you made use of em!

·
Registered
361 Posts
I'm really impressed with the way you re-worked that hook. And only your 6th married wing! Awesome job. i'm really impressed. By incorporating suggestions offered herin re: cheek materials placement, your next will be even better...... And to my mind, this one is already pretty darn good.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Ok, thanks so much everyone for your input. When I said re worked I simply cut this iron down, re tapered the shank and was off to the races. I studied lots of classic irons before doing all this. Bend to tip of shank, after reworking measured 2". It seemed to be a dead ringer for other classic type irons and the hook gape was dead on. Bend wasn't exact, I just thought the overall hook looked good and would classify it as 2/0. After all this talk, I think I'm going to tie this fly again and do my best to heed the advice I've been given. I know I can do it better. Thanks guys. Oh, as to legalities on the water in regards to hook gape, I'm not worried. This fly and the next won't be for fishing, just something to look at and learn from.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I have a bunch of these hooks, i love the shape. I tie dees on em and cut em back for most other things. Havnt fished em yet they are sharp but seem brittle. Let us know if they dont break on you :)

I think your fly is much bigger than a 2/0 in length and hook gape. Doesnt matter just tie in whatever size you like and keep in mind that modern hook companies label their hooks waayy different than they did back then. (1/0 isnt nearly as big as you think for example)

Good on you for trying to match the old hooks and old flys it clearly shows in your fly!!!
Biggest mistake people make is trying to fit these things on aj "spey" hooks and use a fly that was posted recently on speypages as inspiration (no offense to anyone :p).

BUT i think its good to tie on all hook styles (including modern hook shapes). If you can make any fly look good on any hook thats a true skill IMO. :Eyecrazy:

·
Matt Arciaga
835 Posts
Hahahaha you know they look good :razz: your ties on aj hooks makes me want to try them again... If i could make flies like yours i would :p
I got rid of the post, I thought I was being dumb... Thank Andrew

1 - 18 of 18 Posts