Spey Pages banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Scandi & Skagit Hack
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I got some of the large heron from CTFC just to check it out. It is a little expensive but it is way cool stuff that is crazy long and sparce. The pictured fly is hackled with the heron stripped on one side(that about killed me) and collared with some BEP. The wing is 4 funky feathers from feathersmc. Let me know what you think.
Rich

·
Registered
11,027 Posts
I'm picturing a Scandi head, 4 or 5 foot of 8 pound leader.

So I got some of the large heron from CTFC just to check it out. It is a little expensive but it is way cool stuff that is crazy long and sparce. The pictured fly is hackled with the heron stripped on one side(that about killed me) and collared with some BEP. The wing is 4 funky feathers from feathersmc. Let me know what you think.
Rich

Very slow swing through gin clear low water ....... :smokin:

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Very nice spey, super buggy and sparse. I'm familiar with the feeling of stripping one side of a hackle. Which side to strip away? Or can this hackle split in two? And, will it ruin feather altogether?

One tip from fly sketches by Dave McNeese is to put a couple of notches in the stem in each of the hackle tips. One notch brings the stems above the collar/body area and a second notch brings them down flowing over the body and back.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Any chance you could post those sketches? I'm having a hard time picturing this.

Mark

Very nice spey, super buggy and sparse. I'm familiar with the feeling of stripping one side of a hackle. Which side to strip away? Or can this hackle split in two? And, will it ruin feather altogether?

One tip from fly sketches by Dave McNeese is to put a couple of notches in the stem in each of the hackle tips. One notch brings the stems above the collar/body area and a second notch brings them down flowing over the body and back.

·
Registered
5,098 Posts
Rich, my apologies. For all I know the wing in your fly is just as you intended. I don't have the sketches but maybe pics are better? This is what I was referring to if you wanted a wing that lays down more over the fly:
P1124250.jpg
Notch the stems with you finger-nail.
P1124252.jpg
What the tips look like matched back-to-back.
P1124253.jpg
The tie-in point is directly forward of the first notch on the stem. The send notch lays them down flowing back.

·
Administrator
18,151 Posts
I like the colour combination .
Like Fred already mentioned , a nice slow swing through a gin clear flow .... BANG !!

Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts