Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone make a true "Red" colored fly line backing? I've found orange, but (strictly for aesthetic purposes) I'm trying to find some in red.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Is that pike line a backing? I'm looking for regular fly line backing for a spey reel. Just want to put a nice red accent in the center of a reel. Hate that yellow and green stuff! Pay big bucks for beautifull rods and reels of polished black, gold and chrome and what do we do? fill it with chartreuse backing. (If there was a smilie puking I'd insert it here)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Red Backing?

Maybe a regular dacron like Cortland Micron could be dyed with ordinary dye from the grocerystore? I once dyed the kellygreen SA intermediate lines that way.

I believe red backing will be hard to see when ist getting dark on the river.

·
Premium Member
1,447 Posts
Several years ago I purchased dark orange backing in 20# & 30# made by Jim Teeny. This is the closest I can think of to your requested red colored backing.

White backing and red Rit Dye ???

Regards,

FredKrow

(Post edited by moderator to remove non-sponsor URL.)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I think I also saw that red Jim Teeny backing last time I ventured in a Walmart down south. It was right in between the Jim Teeny signature brand rocks and the 3/0 splitshot.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I'm thinking about a nice midnight blue/black color to set off my T&T or perhaps a very subdued tannish color to match my skin tone, but then again, that may not look good in the Winter... :wink:

What's wrong with white? Nice, neutral. Seems if you have nice gear, you don't want to detract from it.

BFR

·
Junkyard Spey
7,112 Posts
Red Backing

What's wrong with white?

It gets dirty, then it looks like Hell.

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,475 Posts
White does get dirty after a while (especially if you are catching fish and getting it pulled off the reel). And I do like being able to see the change between backing and line. That is a problem with a Delta Long and white backing. It will never bleed and stain a line though and as much as I like the look of the high vis. stuff on my modern day reels, I think it looks out of place on old Hardy's. For my Perfects, it is white all the way.

·
Here we go again!
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OK, here's why....

I have a beautiful rod with a black blank, golden brown grips and thread wraps, and red accenting throughout the rod above the upper grip. On this I'm going to put a Hardy Gem which is a subdued gold with black etching. All that is missing is a bit of red accent. I just thought red backing would give a nice bit of accent there rather than "Shawtrewce". It will have a long delta so I do not want white backing for the same reason Sinktip just gave. I don't worry about this stuff normally, as my rods are tools and see a good bit of use. But I do now have a couple of very nice rods that I like to think of as "Presentation" rods. They'll see plenty of use, but I still want them to look great tip to butt.

If you had a Ferrari would you put sheepskin seat covers on it that you picked up at the Wally Mart?

(OK, here it comes, I could hear it coming before I finished typing that last sentence, so lets have it. You WOULD use the sheepskin seat covers, and the plastic dashboard Jesus and the fuzzy dice. Right? And what else? ) :Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
465 Posts
Sinktip,
I also don't like the idea of garish colored backing on my reels. Try using some of the "green-spot" backing on your Hardys next time you fill one up. I think it looks pretty classy -even better than white.

As far as the red backing goes, short of finding some commercially available, I agree with the others that white dacron or micron and RIT dye would be the best approach.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I know, you want it to be "purrdy". And it does get dirty, but....it's backing.

Actually, I'd probably go with the zebra seat covers and the Jesus "bobblehead" doll--would look reeeal nice whipping that Italian beauty around those corners! :wink:

BFR

M

·
0 Posts
If you are talking about GsP, any dye is not permenant, nothing sticks to polyethylene, but if you want pretty I suggest Bionic Braid which is Punk Pink and looks rather nice against a very holy black spool.
Cheers Max

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
get turned on!

get some amnesia from Redshed Flyshop comes in a pretty hot red,,looks great,scary actually,since,,,you know when you see it,,,he'sagoinawayyyyyyyy,,, :hihi: ,i use it as a mid/shooting/running line,then dacron backing,a spool has 3 hundred ft i believe,also comes in hi-vis green,when ` stacked 'in the middle like that;looks boss on the reel , less than five bucks,, :smokin:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts