Spey Pages banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Records tumble, and 60 yards is history !

Just back from the National Game Fair (held in Ireland each June), and watched Scott Mackenzie set a new world record (a mammoth 60.5 yard Speycast ) in the Open Spey competition.
Conditions were calm with a slight cross-wind.
This cast was achieved in the qualifying rounds of the competition, the final being tomorrow.
My guess is this man isn`t finished yet, and I can see him beat his new record soon, maybe very soon.
Scott was using a new Daiwa 18` rod, and his usual 9/10 XLT line.
What a cast, and what a gentleman.
Many congratulations Scott !

Cascade.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I hear the Carron boys are throwing in the high 50s and Gary is around there as well. But Scott seems to have the measure of them all
I could not get the details as the back ground noise in the pub was too loud.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I had a telephone call today from Mr Jimmy Jack whilst fishing his beat in his absence.
Irelands results.
1st Scott McKenzie 54.5 yds
2nd Gordon Armstrong 54 yds
3rd James Chalmbers
4th Andrew Toft
5th Gary Scott
6th New guyMasson Manson ?? fron Cromdale/Grantown on Spey, sorry but I was fishing and was not carrying a pen and paper.

The wind was very gusty and from the side blowing the D loop in onto the casters and the platform.

Young Gordon cleaned up on the Gillie cup which I believe/understand is a 2 discipline casting Overhead and spey casting.

I'm sure the boys will post when the get home. The mobile phone connection is not great Dublin to Speyside but again the Scots(no pun intended done good) I still think I had the best of the deal fishing the Spey on a prime week, I lost 4 fish and am now totally depressed, all sharp objects are locked away.

·
Registered
886 Posts
I'm sure in the rules there is a maximum thickness rule..........hence ........no bricks.
It was a Speycasting Comp

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All bricks were confiscated at the gate ! :tsk_tsk:

Cascade.

·
Registered
886 Posts
He is pretty thick skinned as well. If I was heir to the thrown I would bring back the treason laws and if I did not recieve some respect .......off with the heads.

·
Coast2coast Flyfishaholic
1,771 Posts
Having had the extreme pleasure of meeting Scott, Gordon, James, Andrew at GGACC I am not at all surprised they made such a strong showing with their exceptional casting talent. Congratulations to all!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thankyou Cascade for your kind words,i've just got back from Ireland and i would like to thank everybody who helped organise this great game fair it must be one of the best and well run competitions on the go at the moment,in answer to your question the distance is measured from the edge of the platform to where your wool lands,there is a line judge who stands beside you to make sure you or your rod butt dosen't cross the line,he also makes sure you have done your proper angle change and that 100% of your line and wool lands to the right hand side of the rope,there is also 2 judges in a boat to measure your distance.
Scott Mackenzie
Daiwa UK

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
hmmmm

a new Daiwa 18!, :saevilw: ,,and here i'm just starting to enjoy my Altmor 16 a bit,although an 18 version with a stiffer tip and butt section in a 4 peice configuration would uhhh hmmmm,slobberdripdrool,uh sorry about that :tsk_tsk: well!,just be that much more fun!,when are they being released,unleashed?,,,of course i've been waiting for Sven to anounce the 22's,Sven!,,,hurry lad! :hihi:

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
now you've done it!

i have a competetion going on in the pasture between the whiskerfly 18 and the Altmor 16 :whoa: and i'm supposed to be other things today than killing low flying birds with carbon rods :eek: ,,,so are they,is it,the Daiwa 18 a prototype only peice,or,is one available now? :confused:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi Hammer,
The new 18footer is at the moment still a prototype,but i hope this rod and others will be unleased soon,i'll keep you posted of any further developments,and i'll make sure there is plenty of reinforcing in the top section to cope with the impact of low flying birds for you.
Scott,

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
keep us posted!

i should mention we have low flying canadian geese in the area that have taken up residence most of the year and fly in groups so,make them stiff! ;)

·
Registered
18 Posts
well i am just back from ireland where i attented the irish game fair with my good friend Peter Anderson who was doing a demo truely amazing as usual and watching Ian Gorden also demonstrating was fantastic to see.
congratulations to Scott McKenzie his casting was awesome,
The competion was tuf on the monday with the wind but full credit to all the casters,we all qualified with casts over the 50 yard mark.
Gorden pipped me at the post on his last cast in the open spey ghillie event,well done gorden.
i would like to thank Brendon Begley from the irish casting team and his friends for working so hard over the weekend and making these events possible.
After the game fair myself and Peter Anderson and some friends went over to county mayo to do some fishing with brendon,we fished lough corrib and lough mask and got some amazing brown trout dapping the mayfly biggest brownie was 12 pouunds,and we also had a nice grilse on the ashford castle water the scenery was unbelievable,WHAT A PLACE.
Great to relax for a week with friends,i will be practicing this week now for the cla in july.
gary
PS i missed WILLIE GUNN in ireland hope to see you in july

·
Registered
618 Posts
casting comp

Good to see Scott and Gordon at it again, the other guy that Willie did'nt get his name, is Ewen Manson, From Grantown on Spey, think this is the first time he has entered a Distance casting comp.
Its funny that last week Dana ,Tyler and myself were trying out some rods and Dana remembers Ewen from fishing on the Thompson in BC.
Gordon. :)

·
chrome-magnon man
5,375 Posts
Ewen Manson

Yeah, he is something of a legend in Spences Bridge. He spent a few autumns on the Thompson several years back and the fly guys were talking about this great speycaster from Scotland who was hooking fish all over the place.

·
Registered
618 Posts
Hi Dana

I will Ewan in the next week or so and intoduce him to Speypages, i think he was up fishing at Terrace a month or so ago, i spoke to him before i came over, that seems to be his favourite spot the last couple of visits.
Will catch up with him when i get into the right time zone. :)
Gordon.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts