Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested in fishing some of the Pacific Northwest/West Steelhead rivers in 2004. This will be my first time venturing out of the Great Lakes region for steelhead. I have purchased a number of books that cover the classic Western Waters but I am interested in your personal recommendations for rivers, guides, times, etc. The trip will be short 3 - 5, door-to-door, so I am looking for recommendations for your best guess for rivers and times. And, what rivers make sense for a short trip.

Thanks,
David Dornblaser
[email protected]

www.gardenbirds.com

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
The Ronde, although a great river, is a long drive from major airports. It is around 4 hours to Spokane or Boise and around 7 hours from Portland or Seattle. The Deschutes is much closer to Portland, OR and its airport, two to three hours depending on where you wish to fish it.

The Olympic Penisula is also very good in October; but it is also a long way from the major airport at Seattle, about 4 hours if traffic is OK and about 5 if it is not.

There is always the Cowlitz, which is about 2 to 2.5 hours from Seattle or Portland. It is full of hatchery steelhead in October.

I understand that the Rogue is chock full of steelhead in October as well. But is is also a ways from major airports.

·
loco alto!
3,051 Posts
coming from GL region, there's a lot of side benefits to the Deschutes. It is an entirely different landscape than you are used to. It will imprint. Its close to Portland (can be crowded) and offers perhaps the easiest steelhead fishing for a newcomer to the region.

·
Registered
498 Posts
PNW rivers

The Deschutes is a good choice. You can book day trips or 3 day float from Mac`s to the mouth. I can give you several phone numbers for excellent guides for either. There are motel accomidations at Maupin or at the mouth. Some of the guides specialize in fishing 2 handed rods.

Skilly

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
what month

the Rogue always has fish,what's your preference,you can do several varieties,salmon,for instance,as well as flyfish for willing steelhead/cutts,or do a `Gold Beach 'tour,hit the salt as well as the estuary/upriver,it's all here,er,there,er:chuckle:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts