Spey Pages banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In watching videos I learned about what is now called the trout spey rod...a 3 or 4 wt that is equal to a 6 or 8wt single hand rod.

This seems to be a perfect fit for my warm water/salt water fishing.

So...

What size is recommended. Switch or spey?

Primary Use case:
East coast fishing, small/large mouth bass (prob no greater than a couple of pounds)
Salt water: beach and bay fishing target species, stripers/bluefish/ smaller whiting all expected to be in 6lb or less range.

Have 14ft 7wt 2 hander so I am covered on the bigger stuff. And am

Thanks.

·
Registered
40 Posts
So...

What size is recommended. Switch or spey?
"Spey" "micro spey" "baby spey" "trout spey" 90% are 10-6 to 11-6 with a few over or under that, with all the new rods the last few years that are dedicated Trout Spey Rods, I would lean that direction. A 3wt trout spey is an absolute blast targeting fish 1.5 to 5lb range. 4wt's are great fun and will work fine, better suited for targeting 3 to 7lb fish IMHO not as much fun with fish 2.5lb's and under. I've been going thru the learning curve myself the last 9 months and have learned a bunch about the trout size 2H's, lines and tips for skagit and scandi. What you are planing to throw fly size wise is a large part of going with either the 3wt or the 4wt. From what you have indicated sounds like a 3wt would work great. Check this link out, a good oversight of some of the better rods. Sage one trout spey rods are being discontinued but you can get one direct from Sage for $615 in 2,3,4 weight, a bargain if your wanting one. They don't list the Winston B-III micros which are a top tier/$ rod. One rod I really want to try is the ACR Nova 3wt 11ft the people that have them speak very highly of them. A few trout spey rods popup in the spey classifieds here from time to time so keep an eye out.
trout-spey-lineup-2018-19
First day I took my first 3wt out I landed only two rainbows a 3lb and 3.5lb next time out I landed a few around 1.5lb or less and one 2lb'er. I didn't touch my 4wt for a month and ordered another 3wt last week :D

Jim Mc

1 - 2 of 2 Posts