Spey Pages banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
A Canadian view for Spey - not saltwater, referencing all good suppliers with a history of more than one transactions and those that I know still in business. We have seen some suppliers changed owners, shops moved, et cetera, and though there may be come previous good, there new owners were struggling.

Gut say, it is a difficult busines to be in. HIgh inventory costs, and suspect there is a feast and famine, yet some have made a good business out of it, and as evidence they bought lodges in New Zealand, et cetera.

From Canada
  • L'ami du moucheur - been buying from them since 1994 - also they have Cellire
  • Fly Mart
  • Canadian Llama

• Edit - limited transaction with Doak's, but it was good.

From US, but Canadians must watch shipping fees
  • Spawn Fish - newer, but has a great collection of Ahrex
  • Anglers Sport Group for Daiichi
  • Tightlines in NJ - webpages week, but there are some good finds, if you ask. If around, I like to stop in.
  • Bear's Den - a little weak for spey, but otherwise good.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 · (Edited)
Yeah, just got a confirmation on the shipment from Bob Marriot - as I worried - one size out of stock! :mad:

I will go back to one of the many excellent suggestions above next time.

But they are sending the rest now and the others in a week or so. Still just as good, if less transparent, as any of the others that were more up to date on their stock. I don’t know why I’m frustrated since I’m only tying shad flies this month. I guess the upside of them not telling me in advance before taking my money is they will pay for the shipping for the extra package. Probably will cost them an extra whole dollar.

·
flytie09
991 Posts
Bob Marriott wouldn’t have been on my list. They wouldn’t honor an order I placed a couple months ago with them using a promo code that went through and I paid in full for. Wanted to haggle with me. Nope I can pay retail for Simms products anywhere.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
* Bob Marriott is worth visiting if you are in the area, but I would not (again) place an online order with them again. But it has been several years since I had the need to got to SoCal.

• If on the road, another small store to visit is the Backbacker's shop, west of Cleveland.
  • I have found some good feathers at Malinda's, just off the Salmon River, NY - always worth a look.
  • and not in the Spey Hook request, Orlando Outfitters has been good to me.

As noted earlier, there are others who have failed me that I have not mentioned.

·
Premium Member
3,768 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 · (Edited)
It actually turned out worse even than I had thought - I got my partial shipment today. I had read my receipt exactly backwards. Bob Marriot’s took all the money, and sent only 3 of the 14 packs I ordered. The ones listed where the ones listed where the ones they HAD, to the back ordered ones. I called them today about an estimated delivery because I suspected, and it turned out to be true, that the 7 to 10 day delay listed for the back ordered hooks was autofill boilerplate. The first guy I talked to was like, “I guess I could call Daiichi and find out if they are available.” Seriously? I did talk to their web store guy Andrew who was on the ball, and promised a PayPal refund of the now cancelled portion. Other than that part the whole vibe I got was “why is this my problem”. Argg, flytie09 was dead on. I don’t really mind when stores are not up to date with their stock but when they don’t bother to follow up on the discrepancies - that is the real sin. They could have popped me an email and asked - potentially so easy. Instead the way their system works is apparently to take the money and let the customer take up the slack if they want to. And then act like your are interrupting their day to call and check. Needless to say, in spite of Andrew no future plans to patronize them.

Many years ago because of reputation and then because many, many first hand personal experiences I made a vow to never buy anything fly fishing related online from anyone but Poppy and Red Shed unless I checked and he simply didn’t have what I needed. I’d buy pajamas from him if he carried them. That I didn’t at least check with him first on the hooks can only have been some kind of major brain fart presaging early senility. So obvious, and so easy! But maybe easy like my smoking friend says - “quitting is easy, I’ve done it thousands of times”.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts