Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,

I am looking for recommendations for a spey reel to match my new 7141-4 Sage Two-handed Euro Spey. I think the rod weighs like 10 ounces. It's a 14'1" 7wt and I'm probably going with the Rio Skagit line. I want this outfit to balance nicely and have the room for the line with cheaters and sinktips. I'm thinking Ross Big Game Canyons or the Ross CLA, but I am open to anything.

Thanks.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Rio 550 skagit w/ 5 ft cheater w/ lighter tips or without cheater w/ heavier tips. By heavier, I'm talking 200 grains or more, plus or minus personal taste. You probably want a cheater if the heads are heavy but short i.e. 200+ grains 10 ft.

If you go with a windcutter I really like the 8/9/10. Rio says 7/8/9 but I don't think it loads up that rod enough. The 8/9/10 is a blast with that rod.

I can't give you advice on longer-bellied lines since I don't fish 'em.

For a reel if you want to take a walk on the "wild side" pick up a Marquis Salmon #1 or #2 off e-bay there are a ton on there for $160-$250. Balances nicely with the rod and I love the old-school challenge of a click drag. For a disc drag reel don't overlook the Galvan R-12. For the money I don't think you can beat it.

Good luck. That is a great rod just discontinued. A collective sigh and a groan for many a pacific NW steelheader on that, myself included.

Best,

-John

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Heritage Titan

Ths is a large arbor reel with a bobefish proof drag.
Machined from bar stock.
Go with the 9-11 and you can put the biggest clothesline you want on it.

All this for $130 retail with a warranty

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Easy

Go to Reels, Heritage and look at the Tian.

Quite a bargain at twice the price.
I used one a couple days in Labrador to see whether the big Salmos could make it smoke or self destruct and it did just fine.

·
Banned
1,946 Posts
Last summer I have bought Danielsson HD 9-13 ( used to be marketed by Loop ) for less then Ross.
It has sealed and smooth drag, weights 10.2 oz ( perfect balance for your rod), takes 8/9 Delta and 200 y of 30 lb Dacron. The reel has an excellent record and landed many Kings for me.

Martin

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
John, aka 7141-4 ...... how come you chose the Rio Skagit 550 vs the 600 they recommend on their website? Any input is appreciated as I am trying to figure all this out.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ladykiller.....i have a ross CLA # 6 on a temple forks outfitters rod that is a 9# rod. the CLA has a drag from hell with great stopping action on the drag. plus the reel is large enough to put all the line on you need. talk to ray at schmits outfiters an they can order the reel for you an set it up also. look at schmitoutfiters.com

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
steelslam,

I've looked at the CLA 6 and 7 and the Ross Big Game series. Both are too light for the size, but will hold more than enough line. I need a reel that weighs about 10 ounces to balance the rod. I've found some reels that will work, but I'm going to drop some serious $$ on the Sage 3600D. I wanted the new Ross Momentum, but they are not in stores yet from what I have seen and heard. The Danielsson's are very nice and fit the bill perfectly, and the Cortland Endurance and Redington Brakewater won't break the bank either.

You are going to like this site. It's not like MS or TSS. Welcome aboard.

I'll be in Michigan from Nov 18th - 26th and Dec 23rd - Jan 1st chasing steelhead and lrb's, and maybe a few coho. I'll most likely hit the Big M and Lil M, a little bit of Lake Huron, and probably the Rifle and PM. The White and Muskegon are also possiblities.

·
Registered
43 Posts
ladykiller, thanks for the welcome. i'll send out a pm to ya before thanks giving weekend. an maybe we can watch each other get all tankled up in are lines. im hopin this site can help me fine tune from hook to reel.

·
Registered
6 Posts
line recommendations sage 7141-4

Hi all I am new to this site please give me a hand

I am currently in the process of replacing my lines for my 7141-4 Sage. I think I have determined what I want. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Skagit line

Airflo Non-Stretch Miracle Shooting Braid or GuideLine Shooter Ultra Float Shooting Line (which is a better system)

Rio Skagit Shooting Head 550 grain

RIO Skagit Cheater 8-9-10

Rio Skagit Tip Set 9

I am also thinking of purchasing a SA Spey Line XLT what line should I buy the 7wt is 787 grains should I be looking at the 9wt line 988grains for this rod.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Lines for 7141

The best line I have found for the rod is the 650 skagit, 9 10 11 cheater and whatever 15 ft tip you want to add to the package. Works great for me in all conditions.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just went through all this with my set-up. Rio has some new additions to their Skagit lines this year and they say this set-up matches it best:

Rio Skagit Spey Line 600gr
9/10/11 cheaters
10wt 15' sinktips (150gr)

This is what they recommend on their website and that it what I just bought today. I can let you know how it casts in a few weeks. I also talked to Zac and Simon at Rio and they said 600gr or the 650gr. They also said the Skagit 8/9 550 grain + 5’ 8/9/10 cheater was what they were recommending last year. I've casted 550gr + 5' cheater before and I was casting decent (~30 yards)for the first time me cast a Spey rod which was the 7141-4.

I cannot comment on the 'shooting head' system, but I imagine it is similar.

grumpy said:
Hi all I am new to this site please give me a hand

I am currently in the process of replacing my lines for my 7141-4 Sage. I think I have determined what I want. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Skagit line

Airflo Non-Stretch Miracle Shooting Braid or GuideLine Shooter Ultra Float Shooting Line (which is a better system)

Rio Skagit Shooting Head 550 grain

RIO Skagit Cheater 8-9-10

Rio Skagit Tip Set 9

I am also thinking of purchasing a SA Spey Line XLT what line should I buy the 7wt is 787 grains should I be looking at the 9wt line 988grains for this rod.

·
Registered
3 Posts
7141 line

The skagit 650 works very well with this rod (w/ a 5ft cheater). Havent tired the newer 600 grain line, but I dont see any reason to switch.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are everyones recomendations on these shooting lines

·
Junkyard Spey
7,114 Posts
I can't speak about the Guideline but I think you would be very pleased with the non-stretch Miracle Braid.

·
Jack Cook
1,668 Posts
Guideline

The GL Shooter from Guideline is an oval monofilament shooting line. The difference between it and others is mainly that it floats high on the water and stays that way. The 25# and 35# are perfect for what we do.

Guideline also makes LRL which is an awesome PVC coated non-stretch running line. This stuff is soft and easy to handle, does not tangle and has zero memory. The new version is also ridged for less friction and less cleaning.

As if that was not enough Guideline has re released the braided mono they pioneered many years ago. This stuff is 8-10 strands of mon braided together. It has no stretch, super high floating, easier than GL to hold as it is rough in the hand, less friction for the same reason.

Lots of choices these days.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts