Spey Pages banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i Will just say: TRest The Loop Evotec LW & HD series...!!! The best flyreel in the world? yes!

·
Registered
24 Posts
My experience has been exclusively with the traditional loop reels. I have two 3Ws and a 1. Superb smooth startup and simplicity of design. My 11 year old 3W was rebuilt two years ago after hard fishing in salt water and going around the world two times. Wash with fresh water if in salt as the salt is very hard on the metal. The evotecs are a bit rich for me although I wouldn't mind having one. By the way, the 3W holds a Hardy floating spey line and 300 yds. of 30# micromite backing with some room to spare.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Loop Evotec HD

Just ordered myself the HD 11-13....can't wait till it comes. Heard so many good things about these reels.

The Grandspey 10/11 will fit on here nicely.

I've asked the shop to add around 200 yards of Gelspun, so that should still give me ample room for the line.....??

BTW, I received the full spec for all Loop reels in a nice file format. It includes reel capacities in cubic inches etc......very useful.

If anyone wishes this then send me an email directly.

·
Registered
51 Posts
line capacity with Wincutter

I got the spec for Loop reels from storlaks. Thank you.
A Traditional 3W holds a WF10 and 200yards of 30 lbs backing. But a WF10 can be very different. Do you think it holds a Windcutter 9/10/11 with 200yards of normal 30 lbs backing.
It sounds great that the reel holds 380 yards of micro backing but I´m not sure if the micro backing has any disadvantages. Any opinion?:confused:

·
Registered
933 Posts
It will hold significantly less than 200 yards of 30 lb Micron with the WC line. However, you could increase the backing capacity some by using 20 lb Micron. IMHO, Micron is the standard against which all other backing is to be judged -- great stuff.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Traditional 4

Can get an old Traditional 4.
Will it hold a Windcutter 9/10/11 or Midspey 9/10 plus 200 m of normal 30 lbs backing?
Any opinions or (long time) experiences with this reel.
Stefan

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Stefan S

I have a Loop 4, and it has 300 yards of Tuf-Lite 30 pound Spectra Fiber backing.

There is a ton of room left on the reel. I holds a Rio 9/10 Accelerator with tips with room to spare. I use it in the Steelhead season with my 7141 and a Mid Spey 7/8 with room to spare with the tip compensator and 15 foot furled leader.

Earlier this year I tested three of the larger Grandspeys, and everyone went on with no problem.

I don't understand why Loop stop making the Loop 4. They should come back out with it and have weights that can be added to balance the heavy Spey Rods.

J

·
0 Posts
They stopped making it because it wasn't selling well enough to keep it in the line. The new EvotecHD in 9-13 and 11-14 models covers those line weights very well. I know, they are heavier and more expensive, but there's only so much demand for large reels. By the way, the Loop #4 Traditional can still be had new. I'm not sure how many are left, but I order them periodically from the US importer/distributor and they're still around. I shipped one out yesterday. Ask your local Loop dealer to call the distributor and order one for you.

·
Registered
1 Posts
How does the ULA Force Spey series compare to the Loops, especially the LW? Has anybody tried them both? I'm looking at adding some quality reels for my salmon rods so any input is appreciated.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts