Spey Pages banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Stephen
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...I am interested in making my own tying wax. I'm using some store bought wax that is not as workable as I want. It takes a while to soften to the right consistency on my finger. As well I believe if I make my own it will be stickier than the store bought wax. I have sourced a recipe of ;
7 parts rosin
2 parts beeswax
1 part castor oil
By making my own am I going to improve these aspects significantly?
Any input on this would be appreciated
Thanks Steve

·
Registered
Burkheimer, Loop
48 Posts
My buddy Cam and I made some up a couple months back using a formula similar to what you said, we bought glue sticks from Wally World and emptied the glue then poured the mix in them like the video said to do, as well as poured in a silicone ice cube trays with the left overs, it is super nice and sticky!, the rosin I used was the hard stuff we chipped off a pine tree out front. Make sure you use cooking wear you dedicate to this project as you will never be able to clean it mint again. I’d say it’s premium stuff compared to wapsi stuff I was using for years. Good luck!
Matt

·
Stephen
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My buddy Cam and I made some up a couple months back using a formula similar to what you said, we bought glue sticks from Wally World and emptied the glue then poured the mix in them like the video said to do, as well as poured in a silicone ice cube trays with the left overs, it is super nice and sticky!, the rosin I used was the hard stuff we chipped off a pine tree out front. Make sure you use cooking wear you dedicate to this project as you will never be able to clean it mint again. I’d say it’s premium stuff compared to wapsi stuff I was using for years. Good luck!
Matt
Hey Matt
thanks for the input...as well as the glue stick component idea!

·
Stephen
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Matt...how much glue stick in approximate ratio to the other ingredients?

·
Registered
504 Posts
I was going to make some of this myself, but I just don’t have enough time to do it. This is where I got my info Making Cobblers Wax – ClassicFlyTying.net (mods please remove if I can’t post links). I have some Semperfli cobblers wax and it’s not cobblers wax, it’s like a brick and I can’t soften it.
This is the wax that I make and use. Very sticky stuff, but workable at room temps. 500g makes a ton of wax. I've got an extra bar of it if you want to try it. Just DM me your address and I can get it dropped in the mail next week.

·
Coastal PNW
927 Posts
Just wanted to recommend the unused wax should be sealed air tight if your extra wax that will be stored for extended timeframe.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Is it worth the effort? Is it not just better to buy wax made by Veniards or others who make already for fly tying and have been doing so for many years. Also don’t use that much to begin with so last for a long time I have been using the same wax for years.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like the glue-stick tube ingenuity! While I do love making stuff, as the other John above points out, sometimes it's just not worth it. A puck of Veniard's is $3, and the Semperfli stuff is less than $2.

But hey, during the short days of the dark season in the North, if you want to make a lifetime supply of wax just because, I can't fault you much.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Is it worth the effort? Is it not just better to buy wax made by Veniards or others who make already for fly tying and have been doing so for many years. Also don’t use that much to begin with so last for a long time I have been using the same wax for years.
Same could be said about tying flies, building rods, splicing lines, tying leaders, etc. The Veniards stuff is OK as a summer wax, but I found it much too hard to use in the winter (when I do the majority of my tying). That's at least my reason for jumping down the rabbit hole, to find a more suitable wax for my needs. But yes, a small block of wax will last for a very long time. That's why I ended up giving much of mine away here on SP and to some local friends/tying groups.

·
Broken Down Spey Freak
2,922 Posts
I haven't tried to make my wax but have tried a few commercial. Veniards is pretty hard and needs some help. I had a tube of the Waspi, convenient but not great wax as far as I was concerned. I now use Bohning's bow string wax. It was just handy at the time and seems to work well. Comes in a tube you push from the bottom rather than twist. Makes it easy to push back into the tube.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ive made some with bees wax, some wax from a toilet ring(new) and the remainder of some stuff called swax very tacky, leave a bit stuck on my tying light arm and put on hand heel to use. blended enough to have wax for long time,wash out an empty can to melt it in and throw out when finished, and well I agree its fun to make your own and I found commercial stuff to stiff for tying in winter in house with wood heat,maybe should be using bit more wood? daryl

·
Stephen
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like the glue-stick tube ingenuity! While I do love making stuff, as the other John above points out, sometimes it's just not worth it. A puck of Veniard's is $3, and the Semperfli stuff is less than $2.

But hey, during the short days of the dark season in the North, if you want to make a lifetime supply of wax just because, I can't fault you much.
boredom generates odd activities...as well sticky thread = precision

·
Stephen
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hey thanks to all .The recipes you offered where the basis for a great day experimenting and cooking up some great wax concoctions. I finally achieved the perfect combination for my needs, after stove slaving n sloshing of whiskey...If anyone wants to experiment give me a message for some ideas
Steve

1 - 20 of 21 Posts