Spey Pages banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

Received my first Mark V reel from Joe, yesterday. Have not yet used it but plan to fish for Summer steelhead next week. At first glance, the reel is moderately different from the comparable Mark IV in that it is much lighter and has a sophistication that surpasses its predecessor. The handle is the same with the graceful lines of all of Joe's reels and the non-perforated sides, gem-like. The spool also does not have perforations.

The opposite side has a fine drag knob that has multiple stops (clicks) that appear to be smooth and capable of fine tuning to a degree not found in the Mark IV. The face on that side has much smaller screws that appear to insert into slots aligned with the shouldered pillars. The drag knob of the Mark V also does not have the two screws present in the Mark IV. There is no alignment button on the Mark V.

The Mark V is sealed. Joe and his wife give specific instructions NOT to break the seals of these reels. I wouldn't do so anyway for I have the mechanical abilities of a rock.

At first analysis, it seems that Joe has done an excellent job of updating his fine reels. I have no doubt that the drag will be much improved. That didn't need much. There has never been any need to improve his aesthetics, designs or workmanship.
Let us support this fine man and his reels.
Will report about the function of the reel on the water in about 2 weeks.

Be safe everybody.

TBoneWhiner

·
Dom
3,118 Posts
Pictures! Please!

How long was a turn around time?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would think that Joe's stated time of about one month would be correct for now. I ordered early... probably before all production glitches had been corrected to Joe's standards. The serial number is low for mine. I also ordered the 3.5 inch model and would think that the larger sizes were ordered in greater quantity. I believe also that Joe was cautious before he released these newer reel.

It was worth the wait.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
Pictures please!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Photos

I am no photographer. The Mark IV is on the Left...The Mark V on the right. The Mark IV is in all black and the Mark V is in the standard colors that Joe offers ( at least for now).

20141024_124104.jpg

20141024_124229.jpg

20141024_124327 (1).jpg

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,404 Posts
I heard over the weekend that it was 1.5 oz. I imagine it varies by size.

·
Dom
3,118 Posts
Absolutely love it. I think im sold... I like the fact that they are lighter than mkiv, lets me use bigger reel. IMO looks of 4" is hard to beat but mkiv 4" was a tad heavy on most steelhead rods in 7-8wts.

I do like the looks of mkiv better tho, especially that black one wow. I just ended up returning mkiv 3.75" mkiv due to its sticky drag. Finally a sealed drag is available. I DO SUBMERGE MY REELS no matter how much I try not to! Mkv it is!

Would you recommend 4" on 12'8" 7 weight? Primarily skagit rod. Scott T3h.

Thanks for posting pictures!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Ordered as soon as I heard about the new MkV. Delighted to hear that they are shipping. Hope to hear from Joe soon!

Jim

·
Dom
3,118 Posts
60-70 day wait time if I order one now... makes me wanna cry! Still debating 3 3/4" or 4".

·
Relapsed Speyaholic
5,404 Posts
Domatas,

For just the rod you mentioned I would go 3 3/4. If you think you will be using it on 14' rods ever, get the 4".

Tip

·
Dom
3,118 Posts
I didn't heard much about these since this thread. How is she holding up? Anyone else has put these V to work yet?

·
Registered
520 Posts
I have fished my 4" MkV a bit since I received it last fall. Overall, I am quite pleased, but I must in all fairness report a minor problem, since corrected. Mine is a very low serial number. After fishing it a number of days, the clicker went silent. When I got home, I contacted Joe, and he said that they got a bad batch of springs in, and some of the early reels were experiencing the same problem. Of course, he said just send it back and he would repair it at no cost. He must be extremely busy before Christmas, because it took awhile to turn around. However, preliminary tests verify the problem has been repaired, and I can't wait for a chance to hear it sing again. This is my 3rd reel from Joe, and overall I must say that I am very happy with his reels.

Jim

·
''Speydo-masochist''
1,265 Posts
Have you made a will?

If not I'm open for adoption........

I really like these reels!

Regards, Tyke.

·
D.P.Lee
50 Posts
Saracione Mark V's

I have been using Joe's Mark V 3 1/4 and 3 1/2 inch models since last summer, fall and this winter on 5 and 6 weight Gary Anderson rods. Both reels (and the rods of course) have performed exceptionally and are a joy to use.

Attachments

·
Registered
514 Posts
Saraciones....

I picked up a pair (4",4 1/4") of used MKIV's late in the fall...after having Hardys, Abels, Tibors, Speycos, etc. these may be the endgame for me. Even without the sealed drag of the MKV-I tend not to submerge my reels anyways- I can tell it doesn't really get any better than these. These reels fit all my rods 13'-16' and any line I choose to put on them.The 4 1/4" has seen the most action so far and performs flawlessly at temps above or below freezing. These reels came to me updated and serviced but with plenty of fishing time on them before I acquired them.
I'll give you a more detailed asessment in four or five years but fair to say when something has "it", the right "it", then you can just feel it...:Eyecrazy:

Tom

·
Registered
389 Posts
I have a variety of Saracione MkIVs that I' picked up used and nos in this last year. I love how they fish...just so solid and substantial in hand.

I've since ordered a variety of MkVs from Joe and must say they are built like a rock. I liked the ported reels so much on the MkIVs, that I had some of my MkVs built with them as well. Makes it a touch harder to tell the two models apart but just love the esthetics.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts