Spey Pages banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can anyone help me,i got a 15' Cabela's spey rod for Christmas and i need a reel for it.I will used the rod in the surf for Bluefish and Strippers,The thing i need to know what a reasonable reel?Just encase i don't like this outfit i can move on to a 12' over hear casting,i was on the forum asking to same question before and i was told that i need a 12' spey rod for the surf.If so what would be a reasonable price 12 footer i can get from Cabela's?I will wait on your reply.

·
#&%*@^# Caster
3,058 Posts
You can definitely try this rod in the surf as a starting point. Then make your decision on where to go from there. I prefer sorter rods for the surf but some like the longer rods as well. You will only find out be doing.

What is the price range you are looking at for a reel. A teton reel is less than 200 and will serve you well.

-sean

·
Registered
947 Posts
As far as the reel goes for your current rod, there is a used Orvis DXR Tarpon reel up on eBay that should be fine for both saltwater and freshwater needs. You should be able to pick it up for $150 or less. (Its not my reel).

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Forget the 5 cent cigar - what the world needs is an affordable, big capacity fly reel. Some of the best choices are discontinued models, increasingly hard to find. If you use one of the shorter belly systems, you can make do with the biggest Pflueger Medalist, 1498 or 1598. The 10/11 Okuma Sierra holds a bit more line, and the cancelled Cortland Magnum 200D more yet.

I have a 15-foot Cabela's as a backup rod: competent, but lacking in finesse.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Al, assuming that you are going to overhead cast shooting heads, any standard 12-weight reel should work just fine. The only caveat being that a heavy 15' rod will not balance with a lightweight reel. You may actually need to add some weight to the butt of the rod to get it to balance.

I always recommend using what you have rather than spending more $$ just to find out if you like something. Having said that, if it is not too late, I would look into exchanging the 15-footer for a shorter/lighter rod. Cabelas is pretty good like that, and you might be able to get a more appropriate tool without offending the gift giver.

Unless you have a specific need for such a long rod, I find 15-footers quite tiresome for all-day repeated overhead casting.

·
JD
3,641 Posts
Balance

Another way to add weight to the butt end of an outfit is to put 40 feet, or more, lead core under the backing. Cheap, and since you will be using a shooting head system, reel capacity will not be an issue.
And yeah, talk to Cabelas. Something around 12/13' length and 9/10 wt would be better suited for what you want to do.

·
Registered
396 Posts
reels

I know a shop in Virginia that sells the Grey's (Hardy) reels--inexpensive, good and with 3 spools--definitely not as good as a gem or an angel but a LOT less expensive --last I saw under $130--email or PM me.

·
Pullin' Thread
4,694 Posts
STH offers the DDR #4 cassette reel for about $150.00 and there is the Pfleuger Trion as well for around $100.00.

·
Registered
12 Posts
affordable reels

Check out Newmill trout and deer farm, they are a scottish mail order company with a website and they have some pretty cheap reel deals. I just bought a shakespeare summit salmon fly model 2687 reel that came with a spare spool and an 11 wt. double taper worcsteshire floating line with backing and loops for $70.00 including postage. The reel is not the highest quality, Its cast aluminum and it holds a tremendous amount of line, but is seems smooth and suitable enough for my purposes of 10-15 lb hatchery skamania runs. They shipped it to me and it arrived here in just over a week and a half.

Portland Spey

·
Registered
143 Posts
LL Bean has a BIG large arbor reel that isn't too expensive.

I have a couple of STH Cassette reels that were also pretty inexpensive...Both have landed a lot of salmon and steelhead. You would have to use the lead core trick mentioned earlier to balance out a spey rod though.

Have fun...

Scott

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
heck!

PM me if you are looking for a reel,i have a couple i might be offering for sale=?,,it's a new year!:hihi:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts