Spey Pages banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Single hand and double hand fly rods mostly from Beulah and Hardy
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have the chance I highly recommend trying these Rio Scandi body shooting heads for 5-7wt Spey Rods in 13' and under. I have been using these with 10' Versaleaders in floating through 7ips and they are great for summer/fall fishing using light streamers, wet flys, dries and mini-intruders. Leaders varied from 3' of 12lb to a 14' tapered leader with great results.

Rods I am using them on are:
G. Loomis IMX-PRO Short Spey 11’11” 5wt
Hardy Swift 11’6” 7wt
Beulah Platinum 13’2” 7wt

Other lines I use on these rods are:

On the 5wt (and theses lines work well no complaints just not as nice as the Scandi body for light flies)
Airflo compact rage head Float 330 grains 27.5’
Steve Godshall custom-Skagit 389 grains 21.3ft

On the two 7wts (also good lines but not as good for the light flies)
Steve Godshall custom - Scandi 431 grains 36.1ft (for 7wt platinum)
Beulah Elixer Scandi - 475 grain head 33’ on swift reel
Airflo compact rage head hover/int 480 grains 30’ put on swift

For the 5wt rod I am using the Rio Scandibody #6/7 325gr 23’.
For the 7wt rods I am using the Rio Scandibody #8/9 425gr 23’

Hope this helps someone looking for a line to deliver lighter flies during this fall season coming up. I got turned on to these by Brian Clemens from Nor Cal fly guides and I am really happy I did.

Anyone else using these heads?

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
118 Posts
I have tried out the Scientific Anglers Spey Lite Scandi head in a 300gr and it works well. I believe it is also 23' but i'm not sure how similar the taper is to the Rio. I would like to try out the Rage Compact as I have heard good things about them and that you can use them as a Scandi or Skagit head depending on the grain weight you select.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have Rage heads for both my 5 and 7wt rods. Really like the Intermediate head on faster rivers to slow down the drift. They are very versatile and have fished them with poly leaders and T8 as well as T11 mow tips. I have also used the Intermediate head with just a short mono leader on the Trinity and Russian rivers and it worked well. The Scandi body is really predictable and easily managed with just a set of 10' versa leaders and they are just a bit softer delivery with the smaller flies and that is why I like them.

·
Registered
Redington Dually 8116 Rod, Echo TR 4120 Rod, Redington Grande 7/8/9 Reel, Lamson ARX 3.5 Reel
118 Posts
Rage heads with an intermediate section? I have never seen these for sale up here in Canada and have only seen them on the european Airflo website. Where did you get those from?

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
A friend sent it to me. But here is the link at Airflo RAGE COMPACT S/HEAD HOVER/INT
They are listed as out-of-stock but I saw a few vendors who are still advertising that they have them. If you can't find one let me know and I can send you some links.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found one shop locally that has them but only in grain weights above 400.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bummer I see the same I will keep my eyes open if I see one. What grain weight are you looking for?

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'd be looking for a 300 or 330gr. I'm not sure they made them that light. I might end up trying the Guideline 3D compact or ULS 3D head as they are triple density and come in lighter grain weights. I think Airflo makes their lines anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Rage hover/int originally came in Nine sizes from 360 to 600 grains, and lengths of 27’ to 32’.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Above I mentioned the 23ft head of the Spey Lite which is quite a bit shorter then the Rio Scandi which is 29ft. This is probably why it is better for delivering lighter flies. I thought they had similar lengths but I was wrong.

·
Dom
3,340 Posts
I agree. Bodies are great. Especially the sinking variations they had in Europe. They even had multi density versions of these. Been using them for years. But they are very much just a 23' skagit line that is sold in lighter weights for a given line to be used as a scandi. I am sure 350gr skagit Max or Gamechanger would cast just as well as a Scandi body kit.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts