Spey Pages banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Having a bit of a trouble with rod balance, so thought to ask about it here on the board... I've been fishing my CND custom 1409 for some time now - been satisfied with the rod but not the overall performance of my combo. I've been using a 'local' large arbor reel, weighing something like 9-10oz (just the reel), lined #9/#10 Rio MidSpey w/ tips. Hanging out some line, the whole system balances a bit outside the handle, say 3-4". I dont know if this bothers you guys, but it's annoying me ;).

I feel that a couple of ounces heavies reel could do the trick, I hope to hear some comments. Could be that casting would be slightly easier to perform when balancing is on the spot, go figure. I doubt that this misbalancing affects my casting/fishing, I try to avoid hooking myself at this stage... Well, the situation is not that hopeless :chuckle:

To replace my current reel, I've been thinking of Abel's R/A (about 12oz) and Tibor's Billy Pate Tarpon (could be a bit too heavy at 13oz?). I wonder what you're having on your CND's? What comes to the choise of the reel, I don't mind cork hydroplaning, have managed to keep my stuff quite dry. I happen to like the designs of the two above line containers... I wonder if the Abel at size 4 is large enough for MidSpey (or even longer lines)?

Take care,
Olli

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
What about Danielsson HD 11-14 ( 11.6oz) with a sealed drag and plenty of line/backing capacity. Another option is the HD 9-13 ( 10.2 oz) ( 8/9 MS + 170 yards of 30 lb Dacron)

Salmo

·
Registered
445 Posts
............Bob's got the right idea,add lead till you have the balance you want,and then you'll know how heavy the reel has to be. Then, you can leave it like it is,or buy the right weight reel.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
good idea!

Thanks!

Using extra weight is good idea... better than doing some spey math and approximating the additional weight needed. Have to do that when the weather allows to go out! Reporting back in a few months...

Cheers, Olli

·
Degenerate caster
1,180 Posts
lead

A good use for pencil lead,a couple wraps around the reel mount threads and a few raps of hockey tape around that.I don,t like to weight the reel because it just feels funny to me and puts more non engineered stress on the foot

1 - 6 of 6 Posts