Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
All things Spey/fly
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wood Gas Trigger Event Macro photography

I forget where I found this picture but couldn’t find the fly anywhere. Anybody know this pattern and maybe got a step by step? Really dig the small buggy surface flies

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
There do not seem to be a lot of photos of Ray's flies easily found. I fished with him a lot of years ago and made photos of one of his fly boxes. I'll try to find that photo and post it up for you. There is a pretty nice video of him in an interview and while speaking he's tying the pattern you show here I think. I hope Ray is till around and enjoying life.

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
About 15 years ago I fished with Ray on the Morice. He gave me one of his adaptations of Sofa Pillow and unlike the one shown did not have a tail at all and the palmering was black.. Put it on a dry line and after lots of floatant it would fish fine dead drifting a bit and then on the swing would bounce around out there like a piece of willow fluff. Under for a second then popping up. He had me fishing it close (40-45' or less) Was good for one nice fish then one that decided to keep it for himself. Just tons of palmering tightly. Terrific stuff and a really great guy.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts