Spey Pages banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first crack on Ranger flies. I mainly worked on proportions and just getting used to the process of dressing such flies. One thing I learned to wash my hands very well before handling Japanese floss! Still hating UNI-french tinsel as it opens up on the first wrap... Veevus tinsel is on the way. Areas I struggle is tail veling placement and heads thread management. I can't believe how addicting this craft is!

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
looking good keep at it. thing fall.into place more.you tie
watch your tag length
Yea I know, especially that first one... it was well.. the first one... and it will be the first one to be fished ;)

Do you think all of them tags are a bit long? These are the tag lenghts I do on my Dee flies and I've kept them in somewhat same size on these Rangers. Should I go less on floss a bit?

·
Registered
815 Posts
yeah... i would shorten them all up just a bit. dees have a longer tag than the full dress style in order to make the fly look long and sleek. nice tying though over all, and the fish wont mind a bit. ;)

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gents! Tags will be improved on my next batch. Gathering material selection for Green Highlander now...

·
Registered
506 Posts
Super fishy looking i like em!
Proprtions on an old fly are difficult on modern hooks. They look cool if done right alot is personal preference.

·
Registered
2,144 Posts
I think your flies look great, I think they'd look even better on a straight shanked hook. Very nice tying !

·
Banned
1,711 Posts
jfc

I wish the only issue with my tying was the length of my tag.

I would be honoured to fish any one of them.

cheers,
shawn

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hooks are Partridge cs10/3 1/0 blinds. I purchased these with intentions to create somewhat moderish teardrop profile to my full dressed patterns but I realized that straight shank hook would look much better. I dont fish very big flies and 1/0 is norm so I was having a little trouble finding suitable blind eye hook. Gaelic Supreme Pryce Tannatt is what im considering but at $3 per is just stupid expensive... I might have to bump up my full dressed flies to 3/0 as there are more hook options in that size.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Hooks are Partridge cs10/3 1/0 blinds. I purchased these with intentions to create somewhat moderish teardrop profile to my full dressed patterns but I realized that straight shank hook would look much better. I dont fish very big flies and 1/0 is norm so I was having a little trouble finding suitable blind eye hook. Gaelic Supreme Pryce Tannatt is what im considering but at $3 per is just stupid expensive... I might have to bump up my full dressed flies to 3/0 as there are more hook options in that size.
Those partridge hooks are more like a 3/0. the gaelic supremes are properly sized. I was shocked at how small they where when i got them compared to my other so called 2/0 hooks. If your going to spend the money on lagartun, Why not on hooks too? Aaron has some sweet ones. Some old mustads also look ok.

·
Dom
3,156 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Does anyone know how does Partridge cs6 3/0 size compares to lets say Partridge cs10/3 1/0? Would cs6 be a good suitable hook or there are better ones out there for such flies, Highlanders, and Jock Scotts?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
there kinda messed up for proportion i fine. use a good single salmon iron or try n find some limericks. but for fishing a regular iron can make a nice fly. also aj and blue heron but proportion on them can be tricky

1 - 15 of 15 Posts