Spey Pages banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what weight rage you guys use on the old style burkie 7127. Ive found that people have a huge range of preferred Scandi and Skagit weights so I'll just play with that but I don't have enough rage lines to try and don't want to go through the buying, selling, trading stuff this time.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Just curious what weight rage you guys use on the old style burkie 7127. Ive found that people have a huge range of preferred Scandi and Skagit weights so I'll just play with that but I don't have enough rage lines to try and don't want to go through the buying, selling, trading stuff this time.
I don't have that particular rod. I do have the 7117-4 and the 7134-4 from CFB. On the 7117 I use a 450 grain Rage and on the 7134 I use a 510 grain. Based on what I've read here I think I tend towards slightly heavier lines than others but I do find these two lines to be perfect fits for me. I've thrown 90 gr tips on the 510 and 70 grains on the 450 and had no problems with turnover. The 450 might be just a tad light for the 7127 but I've never used that rod so it's just a guess. Maybe a 480 is the place to start?

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah. It seems like most people prefer a 420-450 Scandi so I was thinking 450-480 on the rage, just wanted to check

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
I'm in the same boat as sisyphisiuminacation- I have the 7117. I really like the 450 Rage in it. I also have the 7115, and like the 480, but they are totally different rods.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Nice stick! I have the 7125-3. I like a 450 Scandi on it as recommended by burkie. I like a 450 rage on it. Enjoy the new rod!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Nice stick! I have the 7125-3. I like a 450 Scandi on it as recommended by burkie. I like a 450 rage on it. Enjoy the new rod!
Awesome! Thanks Josh, I think I'm going to take her out to that water you guys showed me around on for a test run tomorrow night! Hope things are going well for you

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
420 makes it nice and crisp. Some may like a deeper load but I like lighter lines on mine
There's one of the burkie guys I was hoping would answer! Turns out my local shop did have some demos so I picked up a few and now I'll go play! Thanks everyone for your input!

·
loco alto!
2,984 Posts
if you want a Rage for the old 7127, try the 420 or 450. The 480 is really too much - best to try the options. If your local flyshop doesn't have them, Poppy at Redshed can help you out.

for frame of reference against other posts in this thread: the old 7127 loads with similar to slightly fewer grains than the 7117, loads about 1/3 line weight lighter than the current 7125 and 7127, and loads nearly a full line weight lighter than the 7134.

happy fishing!

·
Registered
897 Posts
The Nextcast 45 FF 5/6 or WA 5/6 is magic on that rod. I also love the Compact Scandi 420. That is a sweet casting little stick.

·
Pupil of the river.
403 Posts
on the old 7127, try the Rage 420 or 450 to see which you prefer. The 480 is really too much.
Agreed. I have the new version of the 7127 and it is an amazing rod. If you haven't tried the Nextcast 45 5/6 (either FF or WA) it is a VERY powerful combination as Big Tuna suggests. It just fires so straight and the leader and fly do that little wiggle at the end of the cast as the whole thing straightens out in the air. I love it!

I'd say this in regards to the Rage head. 420 if you're throwing some poly leaders or light tips, but 450 if you're fishing a mono leader as I usually would. I think you have to factor in some grains into a Rage head when casting and fishing a poly, especially a floater.

Here's my line-up for that rod - Airflo Compact Scandi 420 (Airflo specifically), NextCast FF or WA 45 5/6 (mine are 460 grains, 40 feet), Rage 420, Rio Skagit Max Short 475. I've tried some Ballistic lines, Rio AFS, etc and nothing fires like the aforementioned lines.

Enjoy that rod, if you ever want to sell it, I'm very interested. I'd like to have an "old" 7127 too.

Fire when ready!

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So I got out and did some testing and thought I'd post if anyone else is in this boat... My findings are throw away the rage with this rod, even when I got the right line weight dialed in it just felt like I put mud tires on a sports car! This rod is an absolute rocket, very light smooth and crisp. For me at least this is a Scandi or longer line... Time to order a WA!!
Thanks everyone!

·
Registered
897 Posts
You won't regret it

I fished mine on Sat with the 5/6 and was again reminded what a match made in heaven feels like. Landing a couple fish just put the icing on the cake.

·
Registered
627 Posts
I was going to chime in on this but you guys beat me to it. 5/6 FF, I looped mine at 15ft it will cast light tips if you need to. Versitility is a good thing.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah it's looking like that's what it's gonna be! I really wanted to get a carron but based on the limited research I've done it seems like they just don't make them light enough for this rod, anyone know? I'm sure I'm making it complicated and should just get a WA or FF but thought I'd ask

1 - 16 of 16 Posts