Spey Pages banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
PNW Coleton
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I will be heading up to the OP in a couple of weeks, and wondering if there are any new rapids, especially any that may make for more dangerous passage than in years past. Bringing my 10.5' hyside fishing raft. In general I'll be avoiding sections with major rapids. Not looking for anyone's fishing spots, just trying to play it safe! Also interested in reputable shuttle companies. Thank you for any advice. Rivers I'll be fishing, flow dependent:
  • Hoh
  • Bogachial
  • Sol Duc
  • Calawah

·
Registered
2,421 Posts
Sol Duc = better know what you are doing or fill flip your raft!
Calawah = better know what you are doing or you will flip your raft!
Hoh, logjams every turn, Oxbow stay left.
Boggie is the easiest.

In all seriousness they all have difficult areas but the top 2 are very dangerous and no sections without major obstacles. If you have run them before just call a local guide for any new hazards.

·
Registered
1,104 Posts
Sol Duc = better know what you are doing or fill flip your raft!
Calawah = better know what you are doing or you will flip your raft!
Hoh, logjams every turn, Oxbow stay left.
Boggie is the easiest.

In all seriousness they all have difficult areas but the top 2 are very dangerous and no sections without major obstacles. If you have run them before just call a local guide for any new hazards.
Yup. Unless you're pretty confident on the sticks, I'd be looking at the Hoh and Bogie. I did a section of the Duc in my pontoon and it took about a week for my sphincter to loosen up😀 Don't want to pee in your Cheerios, but you do need to be cautious. There are obviously plenty of folks who float the Duc and some who do the Calawah, but they either really know what they're doing or are kinda stupid.

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Of the rivers you mention, the Hoh is most subject to channel change after high water, usually in the form of logjams or sweepers. The Bogie can also change, but not so often. It's best to check with a local source before you launch.

I've floated all of them but the Calawah in my Watermaster, so they're doable even though technical.

·
PNW Coleton
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks all for the advice. With the comments and abundance of swing runs on the Hoh and Bogie I’ll be going that route, outside of walk and wade near our Airbnb on the Duc. Will report back if I hear from locals about any new obstructions or rapids!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.